State Censible 510 Gas-fired hot water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas Lichioveri

Reaction score
Hi;

I'm not sure if this question has been asked already although I've searched the forum and did not find. Please forgive me if this has already been answered/addressed. Here is my problem/issue:

I have an old (1991) State Censible gas-fired water heater, model # PRV 40 NORT6 F, serial # 892433298. Recently, I've found myself having to relight the pilot in order for the unit to operate properly. However, it keeps going out. If I try to restart right away, the pilot does not stay lit when the button is released. If I wait a couple of hours, I can light it with success, turn the knob to 'on', and light the burner. At some point, I haven't actually timed it, the gas shuts off again. I've already replaced what I suspect may have been a bad thermocouple though my suspicions are leaning toward a faulty gas control valve/thermostat. The label reads "37C73U-622" which appears to have been manufactured by a company called White Rodgers based on images I've compared online. This is an obsolete item and there are no recommendations for a replacement. I've searched high and low for this control valve with no success. I phoned the manufacturer and they informed me of what I already knew - this part is no longer available. I asked if this '622' version could be replaced with another, ie; 605, 178, etc... all of which are prefixed with 37C73U to which they replied, "No". I read a document online that stated something about units manufactured prior to 2005 were made so that one could simply go to a local plumbing supply store, purchase a new gas valve, and you're back in business. I'm not sure if this is possible or if the ability to purchase any model 37C73U-XXX as a replacement can/should be done. I realize this heater is old (really old) but I prefer to fix it rather than replace it. In my experience newer appliances aren't made as robust/long-lasting for example, I replaced an old washing machine that lasted more than 20 years, fixing it until I could fix it no more, with a newer one and in just a short 6 years, I was under it, replacing the motor. Two more years passed and again, I was tearing it down to replace the shaft. If anyone on here has any experience with this, in short, I am simply trying to find out if I can replace the existing gas control valve with another that is not exactly the same?

Thank you - sorry for the long, winded post.

Thomas

Phog

Reaction score
Hi Thomas, have you replaced the sacrificial anode periodically over the years? I don't know the answer to your gas valve question. But it's hard to see how putting money & time into a 27yo unit makes sense unless you've been diligent about performing preventive maintenance over its working life.

I definitely do agree that older appliances were made better. I sense you are a kindred spirit as I have the same philosophy. But even top-quality tanks don't last indefinitely.

If you do end up replacing and want to go with something that is really well-built with the potential to last "forever", perhaps you might want to take a look at the HTP Phoenix Light Duty series. They are very expensive but they have a stainless tank, instead of glass-lined mild steel.

Thomas Lichioveri

Reaction score
Hi Thomas, have you replaced the sacrificial anode periodically over the years? I don't know the answer to your gas valve question. But it's hard to see how putting money & time into a 27yo unit makes sense unless you've been diligent about performing preventive maintenance over its working life.

I definitely do agree that older appliances were made better. I sense you are a kindred spirit as I have the same philosophy. But even top-quality tanks don't last indefinitely.

If you do end up replacing and want to go with something that is really well-built with the potential to last "forever", perhaps you might want to take a look at the HTP Phoenix Light Duty series. They are very expensive but they have a stainless tank, instead of glass-lined mild steel.

Thanks for the quick response, Phog. No, no routine maintenance/changing of the anode rod/nothing since being in the house since '94. Too late for that now I guess. Anyway, I had a friend who is a licensed plumber come to my house for his opinion on my original question about interchangeability of the gas valve and he doesn't recommend it. Like you, he had a strong opinion about replacing the entire unit. After 27 years, when these things typically have a life expectancy of around 10 - 15, he (and I) figure I got my money's worth out of it. Time for a new one. Given my financial situation, I had to settle for one of those Home Depot Rheem models. I just picked it up and planning my approach for installing, (supposedly) simple I hope. Thanks again

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hate to tell you, but I wouldn't waste any time on a 27 year old water heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks