Sprinkler valves spray water during watering cycle

Users who are viewing this thread

sacgurl

Reaction score
Six new sprinkler valves were installed by plumber. Everything works great except that the valves spray water when sprinklers are running--not at the solenoid, but under the metal cap. Is this normal? I can post a photo if it helps. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• valve3.JPG
    valve3.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

sacgurl

Reaction score
Six new sprinkler valves were installed by plumber. Everything works great except that the valves spray water when sprinklers are running--not at the solenoid, but under the metal cap. Is this normal? I can post a photo if it helps. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your quick reply. I have tightened the caps again and will watch to see if it sprays again. It's not a ton of water, but enough that it soaks the ground.

sacgurl

Reaction score
That's the anti-siphon device under the metal cap.

If it is spraying from the anti-siphon only on that zone, it must mean that there is too much pressure? So I can turn the stem counter clockwise to increase flow to the zone? This stuff scares the crap out of me and I am so afraid I will break something.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it sprays a little that is fairly normal. If it continues to leak the vacuum breaker may need repair or there could be some trash in the water line.
No need to be afraid, it is only water.

Reach4

Reaction score
With the water off, I would unscrew the cap that leaks. Clean out what is under there, and put the cap back.

Flapper

Reaction score
If it is spraying from the anti-siphon only on that zone, it must mean that there is too much pressure? So I can turn the stem counter clockwise to increase flow to the zone? This stuff scares the crap out of me and I am so afraid I will break something.
No, there wouldn't be too much pressure; the device is simply leaking; it could have a damaged seal or have debree in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks