Solder leak

Users who are viewing this thread

JakeD

Reaction score
I added an automatic water shut off valve system to my home. I added a bypass as well in case of any issues with the valve. All has been great for about 9 months. Temperatures have plunged and now I see a small drip leak coming from one of the solders. I know the proper way is to undo the solder, clean and redo it, but because this is leaking very slowly (one drop every 30 seconds), would it be ok to reheat, reflux and add solder as a temporary fix? Or should I just do it the proper way? Thanks.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
No, it might (probably) will get worse. Any flux in the part of the joint that didn't take solder is already gone, and reheating it while trying to add flux will most likely scorch the dry area and open up a bigger path.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks