Softener. Time for replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Even your klutzy brother in law who needs directions for a screwdriver could setup and maintain the mechanical 5600. I can't speak to the electronic model.
The Fleck 5600 Econominder is electromechanical and has metering, but I think it is harder to set up than an electronic control.

Supr, I think that water test says you really don't need a softener, except possibly to deal with that little bit of iron. You seem to have under 2 grains of hardness adding together the calcium and magnesium. Yet there is something that says 4.73 grains? Probably something I don't understand going on.

Any mention of arsenic?

Last edited:

Supr

Reaction score
The Fleck 5600 Econominder is electromechanical and has metering, but I think it is harder to set up than an electronic control.

Supr, I think that water test says you really don't need a softener, except possibly to deal with that little bit of iron. You seem to have under 2 grains of hardness adding together the calcium and magnesium. Yet there is something that says 4.73 grains? Probably something I don't understand going on.

Any mention of arsenic?

The 4.73 is converted from ml/L to GPG since that seems to be the standard measurement.
Since our current softener has not been working I really haven't noticed a difference in the feel of the water. We used to have a slippery feel every once in a while but hasn't happened in about a month. We do get a ton of calcium buildup though. That was another concern of mine. We've always had the calcium build up even when the softener was working but it has been getting worse.
I'll check the report again but I don't remember any mention of arsenic.

Supr

Reaction score
just an update. i'll be removing my old softener tomorrow and redoing the plumbing and installing the filter. i will get my water tested one more time and if comes back less than 5 again i think i might just continue to run without it. i'm not seeing any side affects of not having a softener, just a lot of calcium buildup.
anywhere i can go to research types of filters to see what would benefit me best?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks