Softener tanks questions

Users who are viewing this thread

gregoryxlt

Reaction score
hi,
Got a couple questions about these 2 softener tanks in the picture.
The tank on the left looks to have a timer on top. What function does it do? I don’t know if the electric timer works or not.

The tank on the right I unscrewed the lid and it has a 3/4 plastic tube attached to lid. The tube looks to be 2 pieces with holes in half of upper part. The bottom solid tube seems to have a ball bearing inside. The tube is broke and would anyone know where I could buy another?
Also would this tank be the salt tank? If so how much salt do I add?
This tank or probably both are coated with orange iron that I want to clean out.

If I use the softener will it help clear my water? Water is slightly brown or rust color.

Here are the pics. It’s a well and the PA DEP did a test last year and it check out fine he said.

Thank you,
Greg

Attachments

• 12A25BA1-E50A-421E-A8B9-78D786FF9AB7.jpeg
    12A25BA1-E50A-421E-A8B9-78D786FF9AB7.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 269
  • C4A0E3F2-83FB-4343-A922-7EA269E6D2C4.jpeg
    C4A0E3F2-83FB-4343-A922-7EA269E6D2C4.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 263
  • 490CA093-BD6B-44E4-8A54-376E1E318DAB.jpeg
    490CA093-BD6B-44E4-8A54-376E1E318DAB.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 288
  • BA0A775A-F89E-43DE-89E9-61DAD4B882CE.jpeg
    BA0A775A-F89E-43DE-89E9-61DAD4B882CE.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

intel2020

Reaction score
What pictures, don't see any? What kind of water are you on, city/well? Have you done a water test (hardness, iron, other)?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I suspect the tank with the control valve on top is an acid neutralizer as there appears to be a media fill port on the upper side of the tank. Corosex and/or Calcite are common media used to raise acidic water pH and as the media will be consumed over time, a fill port would permit replacement media to be easily added.

You will need to obtain a comprehensive lab test of your well water as water conditions can vary greatly. Any feedback on appropriate treatment methods would only be guesses without knowing the conditions of the raw water. As it is a private well, you are responsible for the water's safety and treatment.

For testing, National labs http://www.ntllabs.com/ and Kar Kabs
https://www.karlabs.com/watertestki...yKgiJST_hk7AgKHFZo2jg_VVo_2EA2uhoCa9EQAvD_BwE
are both good choices.

SuperGreg

Reaction score
This is why I put extensive labeling on my system when I built it, so the next person doesn't have to guess about what's going on :)

gregoryxlt

Reaction score
Thank you and will test it. Any idea where I could buy that tube for the softener? And do I fill the softener tank maybe half full of salt? How long would the salt last under light use of the water?

That flush timer on the left tank what would it’s function be or what would it be flushing?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I do not recognize anything that resembles a water softener.

As stated, the tank with the timer appears to be an acid neutralizer. The control valve would be utilized to periodically backwash the media to remove debris and to reclassify the media.

Not sure what the other tank is for. Suggest not utilizing that tank until you establish the appropriate treatment for your water conditions, and learn what that device is and how to use it if appropriate for your conditions.

Last edited:

SuperGreg

Reaction score
Can you find any labels on the tanks? When I moved into my house the system in place was a big POS, and I didn't know what some of it was. I was able to google the model #s and figure it out eventually. If you can see one but it's hard to get to, slip your phone in there and take a pic.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It is a Fleck based valve, notice the old metal bypass. The bypass valve is in the bypass position and the unit appears to be unplugged so regardless it is not being used currently. The smaller tank looks like an old polyphosphate injection system... but this is only a guess. My bet is that you have very low pH/low TDS water. No real advice can be given without a real water test being done first.

gregoryxlt

Reaction score
Thank you. Going to test soon and I was just guessing on the left tank with the 3/4 holed plastic pipe was a softener. I still would like to buy that plastic pipe if I could find one. Them tanks were put there for a reason so testing will confirm I guess. Currently I have a tinge of rusty looking water and I can taste it in the water

gregoryxlt

Reaction score
Just took a picture of the timer on the tank on the left. So would this tank be for water softening like the label says?

Attachments

• 35599A0A-7E0E-4014-8393-43CB7C347FE5.jpeg
    35599A0A-7E0E-4014-8393-43CB7C347FE5.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 252

Bannerman

Reaction score
like the label says
I don't see a label that says it's a softener. The "WaterSoft" name is the company who assembles components in various configurations and then markets those as their brand of water treatment systems.
http://www.watersoftinc.com

A softener will utilize a media tank similar to what you see, but will also use a large plastic tank to hold a substantial quantity of salt. The lid is usually fully removable to provide easy access when adding salt.
There will be a brine hose to connect the two tanks, to refill a small amount of water to the brine (salt) tank to dissolve a specific quantity of salt to produce brine. That same tube will draw brine from the brine tank into the media tank during the regeneration cycle.

Other media based water treatments such as acid neutralization, carbon filtration, iron reduction etc, will often utilize a similar media tank and control valve but usually not a brine tank. Your other tank does not appear to be a brine tank.

There are no shortcuts. Post the results of a comprehensive water test.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks