Softener Drain Air Gap Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Otto Mation

Reaction score
I just ordered the Gap-Cap air gap to put on a 2 inch PVC stand pipe. I just re-plumbed my Fleck 2510 with 5/8" ID clear braided reinforced vinyl tubing in anticipation of its arrival next week. I previously just had 1/2" ID PEX tubing stuck down the stand pipe. It was working but I want to get up to code. What I am concerned about is water spray in the my softener closet. I picked the Gap-Cap because it looked to be the choice that had the best chance of not spraying water on the floor of my closet and it had a port for my RO system which drains into the same stand pipe.

I am looking for some real world experience with these and others in this regard. Any comments or other recommendations appreciated.

This is the one that I have coming: https://airgap.com/product/gap-cap-twin-inlet-air-gap/

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Should be ok, be sure the pipe coming into it is straight for a few inches, this usually helps.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Should be ok, be sue the pipe coming into it is straight for a few inches, this usually helps.
I see the description says
  • Includes inlet elbow with flow straightener
So if you use that included elbow, it may be enough straightening? Or would you try to have a straight-down piece of pipe feeding the air gap device?

Hiren

Reaction score
I just ordered the Gap-Cap air gap to put on a 2 inch PVC stand pipe. I just re-plumbed my Fleck 2510 with 5/8" ID clear braided reinforced vinyl tubing in anticipation of its arrival next week. I previously just had 1/2" ID PEX tubing stuck down the stand pipe. It was working but I want to get up to code. What I am concerned about is water spray in the my softener closet. I picked the Gap-Cap because it looked to be the choice that had the best chance of not spraying water on the floor of my closet and it had a port for my RO system which drains into the same stand pipe.

I am looking for some real world experience with these and others in this regard. Any comments or other recommendations appreciated.

This is the one that I have coming: https://airgap.com/product/gap-cap-twin-inlet-air-gap/
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeney-...XFWQsCUZosCucOADUGxoCGe8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hiren

Reaction score
I cut a strip out of milk gallon jug and it's flexible enough to put in that side opening of the air gap will eliminate spraying and also leave enough slack for purpose of the airgap . If any sewer backs up it will allow coming outside from opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks