small nick on toto ultramax - should I install or will I regret it?

Users who are viewing this thread

hornblower

Reaction score
So - I just unpacked my new Toto Ultramax SG, intending to install tonight or tomorrow. The porcelain on the front of the outside edge of the bowl was scuffed & brown from the cardboard packing. I washed the area with some soap & water & buffed with a soft cloth but there is a small nick in the finish - when I run my fingernail on it, I can feel the scratch. It's about a 1/4in long - not very deep but enough that your fingernail catches on it.There are a couple other much smaller & shallower scratches beside it; those I can just see with a bright light but I can't quite feel with a fingernail.

I'm disappointed - it seems that better packing would have prevented this; it's just rubbed against the cardboard until it got scratched.

Anyone btdt? I'm worried that dirt will collect in that little scratch & will be a pita to clean.

Of course the place I got it from is closed now & won't open till Monday so I can't exchange until then & my entire bathroom reno is being held up (having no bathroom for 3 weeks already, this is getting old)

But I wonder if when I exchange it the next one will be the same? If that's just how they're packed, this could happen again.....

Any advice?? Are they all coming out of the box like this?
Wwyd? For 600CAD I was expecting closer to perfection. :(

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd take it back to the dealer and exchange it. Of course the toilet will work just fine, but you paid for a new, undamaged unit and that's what you should have. We don't hear of these problems with Totos that much, but stuff can happen in shipping.

Reaction score
Exchange it. No need for you to put up with a damaged unit. You paid the extra for CEFIONTECT, so I'm guessing that like me, personality-wise, knowing those defects are there is only going to annoy you in the coming years.

My guess is that the distributor will expedite this a little since you aren't at fault, assuming they have something in stock nearby. I got pretty good turnaround (24 hours) on a deformed Toto tank after waiting weeks for the originals because bowls were in short supply. I purchased three bowls and three tanks so having one of the six defective/damaged was not a huge surprise. If there is a defect on the line, I'm the guy who will get it and find it...that's just the way things have been for me throughout life.

The tank deformation was subtle and I noticed it during installation, but it was resulting in some tank cover wobble/fit problems, 3-point contact difficulty, plus cosmetic issues. I'm a picky SOB, so it went back. When I spend $300 for a toilet, I expect it to be near flawless. At $600/toilet I would demand perfection... :eek:

Best of luck!

p.s. I wasn't sure about the CEFIONTECT when I ponied up for it, but am really liking how clean these toilets are.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks