Slight bend in 4" PVC Pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

JimEsp

Reaction score
I'm replacing some ancient 4" cast iron pipe with 4" Sch 40 PVC. I noticed that the old cast iron pipe has a slight bend in it. If I run the replacement PVC with no bends, after about 10 feet I reach a joint where the pipes meet at around 83 degrees. Is it okay to flex the PVC pipe slightly to accommodate that weird angle? Would it be better to use a pair of small-angle elbows to adjust to the desired angle without flexing the pipe? Are there other solutions to this problem?

Attachments

• Cast Iron Drain.jpg
    Cast Iron Drain.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 304

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
While technically you are not allowed to "bend" pipe, that slight amount of curvature isn't an issue. But if you're replacing the branch from the Top of the pic to the point where it connects at the lower part of the picture... just move the WYE/Combination fitting to connect directly. If you weren't planning on replacing the branch fitting.. a couple 45°or 22° bends would straighten that up just as easily.

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
Cast iron never bends and it looks bend or curved because the joints allowed it. They are fat and loose and are tighten up with lead and or oakum and allow to take a slight bend. You cannot do that with PVC joints. Eventually the stress will weakened the glue joint and separate. Even crack the coupling. I've seen it all the time with irrigation couplings. If you just need one little wiggle, a Fernco coupling might allow it but the inside then may not be smooth and could allow waste to snag up on the joint. Do as Tuttle suggest, 22 degree coupling.