Shower nobs spinning and hard to turn off water

Users who are viewing this thread

ysachon

Reaction score
Hello!
I had a repair come to "fix" my shower nobs and they are still spinning and hard to turn off after a week. I believe he mentioned if it happened again i might need a whole new kit. Sorry, this is completely out of my element so I am not even sure what to order. I've attached pictures of the handles. I would greatly appreciate any assistance......I forgot to mention they are both spinning now.

Attachments

• IMG_7980.jpg
    IMG_7980.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7979.jpg
    IMG_7979.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 65

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The hard turning part is the valve stem or cartridge itself. The handle spinning is probably the stem where the screw turns into is stripped. It is not possible to say exactly what your problem is. Remove the screw from the handle and pull to remove the handle and the escutcheon? This will give a good look what type of stem, brass or plastic. If you know the brand you might be able to get replacement stems or cartridge. At the top of the stem/cartridge is usually has splines cut into tit or might be square. These are rounded out, then replacement is needed.

If the stem is not stripped and the entire cartridge or stem turns, then only new stems or cartridges would be needed. It is all probably from hard water deposits that made the handle hard to turn. Constant forcing it may have caused damage. It is just not possible what to come up with a sure fix with one picture and not knowing the brand of the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks