Shower drain P trap is off by 1.5"

Users who are viewing this thread

tk24

Reaction score
Hello, I am replacing our shower as the old one was leaking. I went with the Sterling Ensemble shower kit to replace it. The drain is off by like 1.5" from the center of the new shower pan. It has some give so I can get it into position, but will that have negative effects long term? Any other easy options for someone with no experience with pipes? This is on the second floor so have access under the subfloor, but there isn't a ton of room.

I was also planning on using the Oatey No Caulk shower drain. Any issues with that?

Thanks!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No there's isn't an issue. As long as you cut the pipes at the right length the ptrap should swing into alignment.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like you are talking about pulling the trap arm over it really depends how long it is . often a hole in floor cut pipe and trap off about 6 inches back and rebuild . takes very little room to work in

tk24

Reaction score
Would it be fine to do something like this (sorry for the horrible drawing)? Cutting down the pipe coming from the drain down to the P-trap and adding 2 45s to move it over a bit?
pTrap.png

Vaughnjj

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with drain alignment. The cast iron pipe is hard to access under the slab so I used another 90 degree to align. Will this work?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a similar problem with drain alignment. The cast iron pipe is hard to access under the slab so I used another 90 degree to align. Will this work?
Not ideal. It'll be hard to clean the trap like this. Generally you'll only want to use at most a 45 fitting to offset a tailpiece.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its better to align the trap to the drain so that when you go to seal the No-Caulk drain the rubber will slide in easier. If there is any misalignment to the pipe into the drain, it will be difficult to seal.

Whichever method you choose to align the drains you need the fittiings to Not be in the drain body, only pipe. The rubber seal will only work if there is no interferance of a fitting Hub.

Reach4

Reaction score
This video talks about a method to get the positioning right for shower drain in concrete

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks