Shower drain - did I tell my son right

Users who are viewing this thread

Edwardh1

Reaction score
he has a 14 year old house he will sell next year, and was changing the shower drain cosmetic plate or grill like cover over the drain hole. Picture of the one at my house (similar)
He said both of the side plastic screw location were twisted off from the original installation time.
He wanted to try to remove the( shower side) screw in PVC plumbing piece that screws into the drain pipe fixture.
As this is on the second floor I told him that could be hard to unscrew (true?) as the plumber who put it in probably set it in securily.

I suggested he put epoxy where the messed up screw holes are and redrill it
or since its cosmetic, silicone the plate and its screws back in place.
Is there a repair kit for the failure of these screw holes?

seem would need or want a plumber to remove the big screw in plastic flange piece?

Attachments

• IMG_2899_1.jpg
    IMG_2899_1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 508

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
New grill repair for old shower drain.

I'd be careful the epoxy does not eat the PVC Drain Base. When we are working on kitchen, bathroom and household doors we often use cooking skewers to fill oversize and stripped holes.

Perhaps a plastic scrap of sorts set into the holes and allowed to harden would serve the same purpose. I like the idea more of filling and redrilling two small holes so that the grill can be reinstalled with screws. I would be tempted to cut my own sliver of PVC from an old fitting and set the sliver into the screw holes with some purple primer and grey glue. If the holes are nasty - like they appear I might first make the hole a hair larger.

Hard to tell from the photo but it appears the screw heads are away and no where near the sides of the drain - make sure any drilling does not compromise the drain. If you can not tell then stick to the silicone approach....

There is a company that makes high end replacement grills for these standard drains that look amazing. I bet they might also know a trick or two for fixing this common failure.

Check out Designer Drains. Beautiful pieces their tag line is "Jewelry for Your Shower" - Love it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks