Should I get a spare pump now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tubby

Reaction score
Newbie here. I have a 3-wire, 3/4-HP, 230-volt submersible pump that is dated 2002. It is mounted horizontally in about 2 feet of springwater. Although it's in a springhouse, various damage and PVC mishaps have occurred over the years, resulting in the intake of silty water and debris such as leaves and PVC shavings, plus pumping of air on occasion. I don't know the expected service life of these pumps, but I don't look forward to sudden failure (which is likely to happen on a holiday weekend with unpassable, icy roads).

I'm thinking of buying a spare pump so I don't have to worry about future supply-chain issues and price inflation. But then the warranty clock starts ticking, and I wouldn't know whether I have a lemon until it's possibly too late. Perhaps these devices are all well-tested and I needn't be concerned.

Opinions?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A submersible pump end can be stored for long periods of time. But it is not usually a good idea to store a motor for any length of time. Motors that are water lubricated will loose water over time. They must be opened up and topped off with water before installing. Motors with ball bearings are usually oil lubricated and the oil will not evaporate. But the ball bearings need to be spun a couple times a years to keep them from pitting and sticking, which is hard to do with an assembled pump and motor.

At such a shallow depth something like the 1HP, 33 GPM, Hallmark pump would work. It is very inexpensive and I think it oil lubricated, so it would store better than most and doesn't cost much if it fails.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks