Service Panel with ground and neutral on one lug

Users who are viewing this thread

Themp

Reaction score
I have a Square D QO 200 amp service panel that I added a whole house surge protector. In the process of reviewing how to do the installation I came upon the statement that code was changed in 2002 to not allow both the ground and neutral to be connected to the same lug. My panel is completely wired that way. Every neutral is tied with its ground in one lug. So, I emailed my local city's electrical inspectors and they were not committal that it needs to be fixed. The house was built in 1984 and passed inspection at that time. Here is a discussion of this:

https://forum.nachi.org/t/ground-and-neutral-under-same-lug/94765/4

The question I have is would you fix this or leave it? To fix it, I would have to add two grounding bars to both sides of the panel because the wires are to short for all the grounds that have to be moved.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Leave it. Only when a major renovation and electrical upgrades would it need to be brought up to code. It's working fine for 37 years. As explained in your reference post, the stacking of wires under one terminal were problematic for certain circuits. In computer rooms and medical equipment isolated grounds are usually required. Ever notice those orange color outlets?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks