Septic Tank Material

Users who are viewing this thread

librazone

Reaction score
Is there any difference between a polyethylene and a polypropylene septic tank as far as durability and resistance to various chemicals.

thanks

V

vaplumber

librazone said:
Is there any difference between a polyethylene and a polypropylene septic tank as far as durability and resistance to various chemicals.

thanks

I would go with a concrete tank. The plastic based tanks all seem durable, but locally when pumping out any plastic or fiberglass tank they tell us that we have to refill the tank with water to protect against possible collapse. With a concrete tank, you pump it out, cover it up and forget it, and the drainfield lines get a much needed rest for a few days so the ground can semi dry out as the empty tank refills. With a plastic or fiberglass tank you have the added cost of hauling in anywhere from 750 to 1500 gallons of water when you empty the tank, and since you refill the tank with water the absorption system never gets a rest. Concrete costs a little more but if you buy one that is reinforced (rebar or steel mesh) it should outlive you and probably your children as well. Speak with Mike50 about this as he is going through a replacement now.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you are going to be there for a long time-get concrete if it's in your budget as it will last as long as your home does.

My concrete tank goes in next week. If I had planned on only being here for 5-10 more years then I would Not have spent the extra money and opted for a synthetic which is much cheaper.

Mike

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

Fiberglass tanks, which is the option to concrete here, can collapse from the weight of the ground above them, and it can happen whether they are filled with water or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks