Septic system expansion

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Our 1980 house has two bathrooms and a septic that works very well. We're considering adding an addition to the house with a 3rd bathroom and don't know if the leach field was built for that load. How can I find out? There are no plans I know of that were originally filed. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know, but if there are not going to be more people, and if the new toilet is low flow, the new bathroom may reduce the load on the tank.

If that addition is because of more people, I would ask your very experienced septic tank person. He probably knows what was commonly used in your area in 1980.

I am not a pro.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the old toilets are original to 1980, they certainly are at least 3 gpf and possibly as much as 3.5 gpf. I can promise you it would cost less to replace the old dogs with new 1 gpf models and install the same in the new addition than to rebuild the septic system.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Septic systems for a house are usually sized for the number of bedrooms.
With pre-1980 fixtures the design flow would be 150 gallons per day per bedroom. With modern fixtures the minimum design flow drops to 110 gallons per day per bedroom.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks