Separate cleanout required when installing backwater valve?

Discussion in 'UPC Plumbing Code Questions' started by Hawk47, May 14, 2020.

1. Hawk47

Hawk47 New Member

Hello,

I am in the planning process for adding a basement bathroom. Code requires a backwater valve, but to me it is unclear if this will require an additional cleanout. Main drain is 4" ABS, which I will wye out of in the basement slab for the bathroom, also in 4"abs, and then install the valve. Existing cleanout is about ten feet from where drain goes out side; new wye will be roughly halfway between.

I have seen others online install these valves, and then install another cleanout downstream right before the line exits the house. Can't find any references requiring this, and I assumed the valve itself counts as a cleanout.

2. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young Active Member

Youve seen cleanout just befor and or after it leaves house That cleanout is often used as a test point for the system . If drain line comes in a house and straight out the back It matters not where the cleanout is front or back (except when length of feet between cleanouts is concerned). But where you are wyeing off the main for another bathroom (and backwater valve) your going to need a clean out anyway if your over 5 foot from mainline with any of those pipes. as to whether the backflow valve specificly requires a cleanout im not sure, In all of my cases I had a cleanout upstream of BW valve but you certainly dont need one at the valve.
    Cleanouts are a good place to test from as your going to need a 10 ft head on that work so you might want to concider that.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    Reason for a CO After the back water valve (Check ) is common decency

When someone installs a back water valve and sells the home the new owners may not now it is there

Now someone runs a cable or water jetter before the CV and the cable gets stuck when trying to retrieve it

Check valves have to be accessible and many times if there is no CO after the check we have to disassemble the top remove the flapper then run a snake .

This will cost the clients a lot more in time

The CO BEFORE the check is great for snaking / water Jetting Up Steam

5. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young Active Member

6. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    Yes two clean outs

One upstream from the back water valve to maintain the buildings side of the main house sewer and one facing towards the city sewer just before the main goes through the foundation wall

Even when I install a running trap I like to install a co LTTY right after the traps outlet as it is easier to snake

I am used to larger waste systems

The problem with cast iron backwater valves is they usually have 4 bolts and a gasket and of a bolt should break which does happen we have a choice try to get the broken bolt out or the gasket has to be replaced every time the cover is removed

We had to install 4 - 8" checks on storm lines

The reason I wanted two clean outs was to know if the stoppage was upstream (buildings problem) or from the city main flowing back

Imagine removing the top of a back water valve and then you find out it is the 36" main in the street that is backed up and the flood starts entering the structure

Installing a second co will not put a job over budget

8" NO HUB BV1002 - CAST IRON HORIZONTAL BACKWATER VALVES WITH BRONZE FLAPPER

The newer see through top of the plastic valves let the building owner know when the flapper has to be disassembled and cleaned of grease and other debris that will prevent the valves from fully closing

Jeff H Young and MASTERPLUMB777 like this.