Rotten Egg Smell in Cellar

Users who are viewing this thread

William Walsh

Reaction score
When my house was built 12 years ago I had two systems installed to soften the water and to get rid of the smell in the water from my well. There is no problem with either of these systems in the way they work. They both work OK. They are Kinetco systems. The problem is with the back flush discharge hose from these devices. The original installation took the discharge hose and connected it into a 3" PVC waste pipe. At the home inspection before we moved in the inspector noted that this was a violation and the Kinetco people plugged the hole in the waste pipe and re-routed the drain into a wash tub in the cellar. When these systems back flush I get that rotten egg smell at the wash tub in the cellar. I have been putting up with this for a long time. Initially I lengthened the discharge hose to go down the drain instead of just discharging into the tub. This helped a little but I would like to solve the problem completely. I still get the smell in the cellar and lately it just seems to be worse. Is there a solution to this problem????

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Create a separate grey water pit outside and run the line to it. Make sure to include a trap and a vent that is outside. Take freezing into considerations if need be in your area.

Alternately, you might be able to run a vent to the outside from your pit in the crawlspace. Look to radon abatement for ideas.

Lastly, if the smell is from IRB, you could try periodic sanitation with bleach.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks