Rheem leaks at base

Users who are viewing this thread

richo

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and would like to ask for some advice. I have a Rheem 41v50 gas hot water heater. It started leaking at the base of the tank, several drops contineously. Pressure relief valve is on top of the tank/looks dry around the threads. Hot water Heater is about 10 years old, never a problem till now. Any ideas? thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The T/P would be dry around the threads, what about the bottom of the pipe coming out of it. Put a shallow pan or bowl under it and see if water collect. If it does one of three things possible. You could have a bad T/P or you could have a pressure regulator without an expansion tank or a bad tank. If the water is leaking from the tank, it's time for a new tank in the very, very near future. When tanks go, it is a gradual process, so you're not likely to have the whole bottom fall out and flood the place. Given the age of the tank and the description of the leak, I'm afraid I'd have to bet on the tank being toast, but it won't hurt to check the other possibilities before rushing out to buy a new tank.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

If there is water inside the bottom of the heater, then you probably need a new heater, but someone would have to verify that it is not leaking at any of the spots where a leak was fixable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks