Residential Service Entrance Conductor Temperature Rating to Use for Capacity and 2017 NEC 310.15(B)(7)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
Oh, OK, that makes more sense and has no bearing on the electrical. I did think the color was off. ; - ) I see the SER now just above them.

Cheers, Wayne
Do you think in heating mode those linesets are a concern, or separation is needed. On one hand, they are insulated (no seam on the insulation), and the SER is against the top plate (i.e. little insulation behind it) while heating would only run under cool/cold conditions. On the other hand, they do carry heat.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you think in heating mode those linesets are a concern, or separation is needed.
The only regulatory concern would be if one can argue that the line set piping gets hot enough that the ambient temperature of the cable can rise above 109F. I have no idea if that's a real possibility or not. If the HVAC lineset pipes get hot enough that the cable sees an ambient above 109F, then you should add some separation. But you have the cable above the 4 line sets, so the line sets would have to get well above 109F for that to be the case (versus if you bundled the cable in the middle of all 4 line sets).

How long are they running in parallel in the arrangement shown in the picture? If less than 10% of the total SER cable length and less than 10', there's an ampacity exception that lets you ignore short sections of elevated temperature like this. If it's over 10', maybe it's worth ensuring you have say 3" of clearance between the cable sheath and the line set insulation. Which is a number I just totally made up.

Cheers, Wayne

Rossn

Reaction score
The only regulatory concern would be if one can argue that the line set piping gets hot enough that the ambient temperature of the cable can rise above 109F. I have no idea if that's a real possibility or not. If the HVAC lineset pipes get hot enough that the cable sees an ambient above 109F, then you should add some separation. But you have the cable above the 4 line sets, so the line sets would have to get well above 109F for that to be the case (versus if you bundled the cable in the middle of all 4 line sets).

How long are they running in parallel in the arrangement shown in the picture? If less than 10% of the total SER cable length and less than 10', there's an ampacity exception that lets you ignore short sections of elevated temperature like this. If it's over 10', maybe it's worth ensuring you have say 3" of clearance between the cable sheath and the line set insulation. Which is a number I just totally made up.

Cheers, Wayne
They run in parallel for a good 40'. In one location (exiting the mechanical room, they go through a constriction. In other places they are closer than the image, but intermittently. My gut says the same as you, in that a little more separation, where possible would be beneficial. When the mini-split guy comes back out, I will ask if they can be stretched down maybe 3-6" for a little clearance. Since the outside wall will always be cool/cold when running heat, I think risk is negligible. I'll also do a sanity check with those heads running on high to see how warm the lines get, both inside and outside the insulation.

I'm going to make an effort to not keep using this thread, so it doesn't turn into a bigger run-on sentence :) But, I will post up a separate thread on energy management topics, if you have any insight that you wish to share.

Many thanks again for your wonderful help with this - I couldn't have gotten to my numbers with the same degree of confidence behind them without your help. I actually handed off some of the load calc to the POCO today, so they can confirm capacity on their side, and hope to hear back.

Rossn

Reaction score
Hey Wayne (@wwhitney)!

My POCO request has finally made it to a designer. They did some calcs and determined that the 25kVA is underspec'd for the 4 good size residences it feeds, and they are going to upgrade it to a 50kVA at their cost. I'm hopeful they are not undersizing that.

They seem comfortable with the existing OH conductors (good chance they are #2 CU) supporting the 373A, so that is also good.

I asked them to confirm that the meter device supports the calc'd 373A, and the designer's engineer said I should talk to an electrician! The designer has mentioned a few times that she can process an upgrade to 400A service if I'd like to go that route. Earlier, when we were chatting by phone and she suggested 400A service, I asked her to confirm that the 320A service was good for up to 400 non-continuous, and based on her pause and voice, I could tell we were into an area she wasn't clear about. It is a little nutty how much confusion there is around 320A service, even within the POCO and its contractors. BTW, the designer is part of a 3rd party contractor to Xcel.

Given you've worked in this world... do you think it's more effective for me to 1) ask her to work with the engineer to detail out what I would be getting out of 400A service that I do not get out of 320A service (would be hard to have that conversation without discussing capacity of each service), 2) escalate to the manager of the engineer, or 3) request Xcel engineers be pulled in directly? I'm kind of leaning towards the first, but value your thoughts. There is so much confusion within the industry around class 320 service!

Also, just for my own sanity, do I understand correctly that because the subject is one family dwelling, our service conductor sizing per 310.12(A) overrides 230.42 (which would require larger conductors due to a) no 83% rule b) additional 25% of continuous load applied)?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
when we were chatting by phone and she suggested 400A service, I asked her to confirm that the 320A service was good for up to 400 non-continuous
If Xcel Energy is your POCO, see page 45 of this document: https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/xe-responsive/Admin/Managed Documents & PDFs/Xcel-Energy-Standard-For-Electric-Installation-and-Use.pdf

Given you've worked in this world... do you think it's more effective for me
I haven't actually worked in this world, not directly. I expect most of your questions to be answerable by studying the above document.

Also, just for my own sanity, do I understand correctly that because the subject is one family dwelling, our service conductor sizing per 310.12(A) overrides 230.42 (which would require larger conductors due to a) no 83% rule b) additional 25% of continuous load applied)?
If you have an overhead service, then generally the service point is the splice at the top of the mast between the service drop and the conductors in the mast. The service drop conductors are the POCO's responsibility, and the conductors in the mast are Service Entrance Conductors.

You determine the required ampacity of Service Entrance Conductors per 230.42 (which includes a 125% factor for continuous loads), then for a residential service you get to use the 83% rule when selecting the conductor size. [There's actually a loose end here, on how 310.12 interacts with 240.4(B), which I'm glossing over, not sure of the answer.]

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
[There's actually a loose end here, on how 310.12 interacts with 240.4(B), which I'm glossing over, not sure of the answer.]
Which doesn't matter for you as you have two service OCPDs supplied by one set of SECs, so the sum of the OCPD ratings may exceed the ampacity of the SECs. The SECs are protected against overload by the load calculation only.

Cheers, Wayne

Rossn

Reaction score
If Xcel Energy is your POCO, see page 45 of this document: https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/xe-responsive/Admin/Managed Documents & PDFs/Xcel-Energy-Standard-For-Electric-Installation-and-Use.pdf

I haven't actually worked in this world, not directly. I expect most of your questions to be answerable by studying the above document.

If you have an overhead service, then generally the service point is the splice at the top of the mast between the service drop and the conductors in the mast. The service drop conductors are the POCO's responsibility, and the conductors in the mast are Service Entrance Conductors.

You determine the required ampacity of Service Entrance Conductors per 230.42 (which includes a 125% factor for continuous loads), then for a residential service you get to use the 83% rule when selecting the conductor size. [There's actually a loose end here, on how 310.12 interacts with 240.4(B), which I'm glossing over, not sure of the answer.]

Cheers, Wayne

Yes, have definitely seen p. 45, and at the same time have people at Xcel who are unclear on that or stating to the contrary.

My load calc didn't include any additional VA for the continuous element of the EVSEs, and when I looked at the service entrance conductor capacity, it was also not taken into account.

Taking a 'backing in' approach, it sounds like for the 500MCM AL conductors, I would take the 310A ampacity rating / .83 = 373A, then subtract 15A (60A EVSE x 0.25) and ensure my load calc result for the entire dwelling is 358A or less. Does that sound right?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, have definitely seen p. 45, and at the same time have people at Xcel who are unclear on that or stating to the contrary.
I would trust the document over a given person's understanding. If their misunderstanding is an impediment to the process, just refer them to that page of that document and ask them to explain.
Taking a 'backing in' approach, it sounds like for the 500MCM AL conductors, I would take the 310A ampacity rating / .83 = 373A, then subtract 15A (60A EVSE x 0.25) and ensure my load calc result for the entire dwelling is 358A or less. Does that sound right?
Do you really have a 60A EVSE, which would require a 75A circuit, or do you have a 48A EVSE, which requires a 60A circuit? You only need to apply the 125% factor once.

With that clarification, if a 60A continuous EVSE is your only continuous load, then that algorithm works.

And of course for the load on the SECs, you may use the optional method.

Cheers, Wayne

Rossn

Reaction score
I would trust the document over a given person's understanding. If their misunderstanding is an impediment to the process, just refer them to that page of that document and ask them to explain.

Do you really have a 60A EVSE, which would require a 75A circuit, or do you have a 48A EVSE, which requires a 60A circuit? You only need to apply the 125% factor once.

With that clarification, if a 60A continuous EVSE is your only continuous load, then that algorithm works.

Cheers, Wayne

I realize that is an odd number for a single EVSE. I don’t actually have any EVSE yet :) but, as a condition of the permit I have to pre-wire or put in conduit. Since EVSEs seem to be going through their own evolution now (single breaker pool, load sharing, energy mgmt, etc) and we are a year two out from EVs, it was more of a placeholder on the basis of 3 EVs @ 20A each, or a pool of 60A available. I would have preferred a pool of 80A available, but the numbers weren’t working out.

I think I ran the full dwelling numbers by optional and they came out higher. I think that was due to the high number of SABCs and something else, but will check my spreadsheet when back at my computer.

Rossn

Reaction score
I think I've now dealt with 5 people at Xcel or their contractors that are not clear about it. You can hear it in their voice when talking to them. It seems that NEC and POCOs need to do something to add clarity. I awoke this morning thinking about that more... it seems like NEC should include a table for services to outline their continuous and non-continuous ratings and that POCOs need to publish some bulletins and/or training to their staff. With the electrification movement, more and more residences are going to be having 320A services, and if the electricians are undersizing the conductors because they think it's only good for 320A, that's no bueno.

I must have been doing my load calcs by optional method in the middle of the night or something... they were coming back larger than the standard method. I'm glad you mentioned this (Thank you!) and I went back, as it notably lowered the load on the service entrance conductors, as you can see below. Of course, the 180A service conductors are still an issue, and now the garage/studio leg is slightly over.

1700245901208.png

At least now, I only have to work through energy management with the concern of downstream from the meter.

310.12A has me wondering about the definition of 'service rating'. I didn't find it in article 100. Do you know its definition? I'm curious if you are confident in the needing to apply continuous load factors (125%) for residential calculations? I find it very interesting that 220.57 doesn't make any reference back to 215.3 or 230.42, where EVs are may be the only 'real' continuous load in a residence. Maybe they will add the clarity in future editions, as 220 Part III and IV seem to indicate that the load the feeder and service entrance conductors see is a result of the 220 calculations.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I've now dealt with 5 people at Xcel or their contractors that are not clear about it.
Right, but their internal reference to resolve their lack of clarity is the document we are talking about. So you only have a problem if you need them to recognize what the document says, and after consulting the document they still disagree.

I must have been doing my load calcs by optional method in the middle of the night or something... they were coming back larger than the standard method. I'm glad you mentioned this (Thank you!) and I went back, as it notably lowered the load on the service entrance conductors, as you can see below.

I figured, that is definitely the conventional wisdom. The typical marginal load in the optional calc gets a factor of 40%, while the typical marginal load in the standard calc gets a factor of 100%.

Of course, the 180A service conductors are still an issue
Correction, you have no 180A service conductors; your 4/0 Al are feeders. And as partial feeders (not carrying the entire dwelling unit load), they can't use the optional method.

So for the SECs you have the choice of the optional or standard method; every downstream segment must use the standard method just for the loads it serves.

310.12A has me wondering about the definition of 'service rating'.
Excellent question, it is not defined and is a source of ambiguity. See, e.g.

The latter is entirely on point for your situation and inspired by it. Worst case for you, "service rating" has to match a standard OCPD size, meaning that your SECs are only good for 350A. But since you can use the optional calc for them, that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm curious if you are confident in the needing to apply continuous load factors (125%) for residential calculations?

100%. Article 220 doesn't deal with continuous vs non-continuous at all; you have to track it separately when doing the Article 220 calculations. That's because other article that reference loads (which have to be calculated via Article 220) do reference continuous vs non-continuous loads, so you need to know the breakdown.

So it goes like this (made up example):

- Article 220 Standard Method says the load on one of your 4/0 Al feeders is 170A. On further inspection, the load is 110A non-continuous, 60A continuous.
- Articles 310 and 110 tell you your 4/0 Al has an ampacity of 180A.
- Since your OCPD protecting the 4/0 Al feeder is not 100%-rated (those are special breakers that are prohibitively expensive), Article 215 tells you that you need conductors with an ampacity of 110 + 125% * 60 = 185A. No good.
- Move 5A of non-continuous load from this 4/0 Al feeder to the other one, and you're good.

Cheers, Wayne

Rossn

Reaction score
Right, but their internal reference to resolve their lack of clarity is the document we are talking about. So you only have a problem if you need them to recognize what the document says, and after consulting the document they still disagree.
That is true - I have it in writing, and all I need. Though I'm thinking more about how broader humanity is impacted. I'm only mentioning the below rant, as I'd value your below input if you think there is a valid NEC PI submittal, coupled with a reach out to Xcel senior management. I awoke early yesterday thinking... wow, this is a massive knowledge gap that affects customers, and possibly safety... there must be a way to improve this.

Here's what I experienced:
Xcel Contractor: The designer offers 3 times to upgrade my service to 400A, and the tech who came on-site said the same thing. With both, they seemed to go quiet and be searching their head, followed by an awkward moment of silence when I mentioned 320A service is good for 400A. The designer reaches out to her 'electrical engineer', who punts and says I should defer to my electrician for sizing of the meter. Her supervisor says 'we only offer 200, 320, 400A service' in response to confirming my request to confirm that the Xcel owned components of the service are good for my calculated 374A.

Xcel: Prior to working with the Xcel contractor, a guy with the title 'Specialty Engineer' who works in the 'meter shop' can't confirm to me that 320A service is good for up to 400A non-continuous. Eventually I find that excerpt from the Xcel install guidelines doc and send him a screenshot, to which he responds to a screenshot from the same doc that mentions 320A service disconnects cannot exceed 400A combined.

Electrician: Tells me a 320A meter can only handle 320A. Clearly built the service on that, undersizing the service entrance conductors and limiting my service to 350A (potentially 373A). My guess is a number of electricians have spoken with folks at the POCO and that is where they got their education that the meter is only good for 320A.... shouldn't question the POCO, right? They're generally not going to invest the time to prove to the contrary, and now for the rest of their career, max capacity of 320A drives their work. Furthermore, if one takes the trade forums as some indicator... it seems even the electricians knowing that 320A service can support up to 400A non-continuous aren't able to clearly articulate what the determining/driving factor would be in selecting 400A service (vs 320A service) for a residence. Though, that could be a misread on my behalf. Funny thing is that same electrician over-spec'ing a service which will run thousands of $ more, will be trying to trying to talk a homeowner out of having 20A general use receptacles because it's an unnecessary cost.

I'm not sure if there are direct safety issues that could stem from the assumption of the more conservative rating (you'd have a better feel for that), other than the fact that some notable 320A services will have undersized conductors. That could lead to to some future misunderstandings about the service's capacity and overloading of the service if conductor sizes isn't checked... but that ambiguity is more a risk of the NEC's rules, anyhow.

However, from a waste perspective, it's huge and real. Both money and resources. I paid $6k for the 320A service upgrade (pre-Covid) and now POCO suggests I go to 400A 4 times? Beyond that, they (and electricians) are over-specifying services at 400A, when it's not required and it is definitely more costly than 320A service. If I wasn't the type to dig in (and not many homeowners have spent hundreds of hours reviewing code), I'd have no reason to disbelieve any of the above persons. But, this can be fixed on both the Electrician (NEC) and POCO side (Education).

Obviously NFPA wants to keep NEC from growing any more burdensome and overweight than needed. Do they ever approve PIs that add clarity, but maybe not safety? I can imagine a table that shows class of service, and the associated allowable continuous and non-continuous loads.

Anyhow, call me crazy, but I feel the industry can do better than all this waste and confusion. 320A service is only going to become more common.
I figured, that is definitely the conventional wisdom. The typical marginal load in the optional calc gets a factor of 40%, while the typical marginal load in the standard calc gets a factor of 100%.
Who knows how I messed up the calc so badly, but at least it put me in a better position.

Correction, you have no 180A service conductors; your 4/0 Al are feeders. And as partial feeders (not carrying the entire dwelling unit load), they can't use the optional method.

So for the SECs you have the choice of the optional or standard method; every downstream segment must use the standard method just for the loads it serves.

*sigh* I even went to the extent of looking up the definition of service conductor, but misinterpreted the disconnect to be my main breakers, and not the meter disconnect. Thanks for setting me straight. Feeders it is.

Excellent question, it is not defined and is a source of ambiguity. See, e.g.

The latter is entirely on point for your situation and inspired by it. Worst case for you, "service rating" has to match a standard OCPD size, meaning that your SECs are only good for 350A. But since you can use the optional calc for them, that shouldn't be a problem.
I'm honored you would go for clarity, inspired by my topic. Thank you very much. The timing of that any my definition question is a little funny.

I read through those threads, and with a little brain squeeze was able to track most of that, but not 100%. It sounds like there is an interpretation question that is likely to get different answers, depending on who you talk to, and that the more conservative answer would be to call my service 350A. I, too, had looked at table 310.12(A) and like jaggedben had interpreted it to be used optionally, versus restrictive... however, that was just my guess. But, I can mostly understand the other areas of ambiguity mentioned and the reasoning.

100%. Article 220 doesn't deal with continuous vs non-continuous at all; you have to track it separately when doing the Article 220 calculations. That's because other article that reference loads (which have to be calculated via Article 220) do reference continuous vs non-continuous loads, so you need to know the breakdown.

So it goes like this (made up example):

Sorry to have been pedantic on this, and not really a question of your knowledge (clearly this code is engrained in your head), but trying to understand why it isn't laid out more clearly, and what the value of a load calculation is, if the resulting value can't be used directly. The only possible use case I could think of for the load calculation without directly including the continuous factor might be the sizing of the meter, but I'm not even confident on that... or maybe I've missed some bigger use.

Might sound a little odd, but I feel like NEC needs to undergo a fundamental re-architecture.

How large do you think fiscal value would be if NEC was replaced with something that easily allowed an electrician or other industry professional to reliably get an answer as to how a scenario should be handled, without having to dive directly into the text, thus driving up compliance and down safety issues?

Rossn

Reaction score
@wwhitney Last week I was finally able to have a conversation with the electrician who performed the service upgrade, and he was pretty adamant that the feeder conductors between meter socket and main disconnect should be 4/0 Al. His rational was that the last sentence of 310.12(B) reads "If no adjustment or correction factors are required, Table 310.12(A) shall be permitted to be applied". We agreed I should reach out to the county for their interpretation. While we awaited response, he also agreed that the 83% rule doesn't apply. I had to print out and mark-up the table and show that those were the same conductor sizes in the table matched that would be used if the 83% rule was applied, and his tune started to change a bit.

Today I heard back from the 'electrical combination building inspector', as my question has been forwarded from my inspector (electrical isn't his strong suit) to him.

He writes:
"I was forwarded your message about the above address.
After looking into it I believe the contractor is correct because of 310.12(C) which states “in no case shall a feeder for an individual dwelling unit be required to have an ampacity greater than that specified in 310.12(A) or (B).”
If you have any questions feel free to reach out."

I could be mis-reading, but to me, that doesn't exactly ooze confidence. Furthermore, I am unclear how 310.12(A) and (B) could reference not using the 83% rule under certain conditions, and his interpretation hold true.

Do you have any recommendations of points I should raise to the inspector? I really just want to be sure I have a safe install that will also not be at-risk from an insurance liability perspective. Perhaps if the county is putting that in writing I should just let it go... would certainly be easier, and my guess is that with that being exterior to the building and a short run, some over-subscription (beyond 180A) may not be a practical issue.

BTW, when I e-mailed my inspector, I also sent a separate e-mail to the state electrical board with the same question. No response from them yet.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not clear what your concern is here.

Under the interpretation that the 500 MCM Al SECs are a service for one dwelling unit, the 83% rule in 310.12 does not apply to the 4/0 Al feeders, as each one carries only part of the dwelling unit loads. But the 4/0 Al feeders have an ampacity of 180A, so they may be protected at 200A under 240.4(B). So as long as the load is 180A or less for each feeder, the installation is NEC compliant as is.

If your load is over 180A but under 200A, you'd need to upsize the 4/0 Al feeders to 250 MCM Al or 3/0 Cu to be NEC compliant.

As you have described a phased installation of new loads over time, I expect that your current loads are under 180A on each feeder. You may find that the standard calculation for one or both of your feeders in the "final state" is over 180A. But you have the option to start monitoring the load on the existing feeders as per 220.87. Then each time you want to add a new load, you can use the 220.87 observed load and add the calculated new load, and as long as that is under 180A, there's no need to upsize the existing feeders.

Cheers, Wayne

Rossn

Reaction score
I'm not clear what your concern is here.

Under the interpretation that the 500 MCM Al SECs are a service for one dwelling unit, the 83% rule in 310.12 does not apply to the 4/0 Al feeders, as each one carries only part of the dwelling unit loads. But the 4/0 Al feeders have an ampacity of 180A, so they may be protected at 200A under 240.4(B). So as long as the load is 180A or less for each feeder, the installation is NEC compliant as is.

If your load is over 180A but under 200A, you'd need to upsize the 4/0 Al feeders to 250 MCM Al or 3/0 Cu to be NEC compliant.

As you have described a phased installation of new loads over time, I expect that your current loads are under 180A on each feeder. You may find that the standard calculation for one or both of your feeders in the "final state" is over 180A. But you have the option to start monitoring the load on the existing feeders as per 220.87. Then each time you want to add a new load, you can use the 220.87 observed load and add the calculated new load, and as long as that is under 180A, there's no need to upsize the existing feeders.

Cheers, Wayne

The issue is that the county is saying there is no need to ever go beyond 4/0, regardless of my load calculation or measured loads. So, I don't know if I just let that liability sit on the county and assume I'm fine up to 200A on the existing conductors, or if I try to convince the inspector he's misreading NEC.

I wouldn't call it phased, as much as a slow/long running project. There aren't additional permits coming - it's all already permitted. Since I know the loads I want to size for those now at the start of the project instead of later discovering that the extra 25% that is required may push me into a higher degree of energy management.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The issue is that the county is saying there is no need to ever go beyond 4/0, regardless of my load calculation or measured loads. So, I don't know if I just let that liability sit on the county and assume I'm fine up to 200A on the existing conductors, or if I try to convince the inspector he's misreading NEC.
Unless you're trying to get the electrician who did the earlier work to upsize either the 500 MCM Al or the 4/0 Al, I don't see how it impacts you that the inspector is mistaken. You know that with the existing conductors you need the standard load calc to be 180A or under on each 4/0 Al feeder. So either allocate the loads to make that work, or upsize one or both of the feeders.

Cheers, Wayne

Rossn

Reaction score
Unless you're trying to get the electrician who did the earlier work to upsize either the 500 MCM Al or the 4/0 Al, I don't see how it impacts you that the inspector is mistaken. You know that with the existing conductors you need the standard load calc to be 180A or under on each 4/0 Al feeder. So either allocate the loads to make that work, or upsize one or both of the feeders.

Cheers, Wayne
I am actually trying to get the electrician to upsize the 4/0 Al conductors to be what we believe would be compliant, as I don't think I should go hire a second electrician to do it.

But... if I have a licensed electrician as well as the county electrical inspector telling me they are in agreement in believing NEC says those conductors are good for a calculated load of 199A, what's my basis to argue or motivation to go spend another $500-$1000? Because I feel the licensed guys are wrong, and I'm right? I could tell them that this awesome guy on the internet, who can run circles around them in code knowledge says so, but they won't feel that is substantiated. To top off things, if I did get another electrician to upgrade the conductors, then I need to let my inspector know that I don't believe the other inspector at his word, and want to do work they feel is unnecessary... I'm not sure that would go over well :)

Edit to add:
I think my only real path is if the state electrical board responds to my inquiry to clarify (assuming they also see it as we do) or NFPA themselves provides clarification on how it is to be interpreted. However, it looks like without a paid subscription, they may not respond to such inquiries. I will call tomorrow.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
All I can say is that they both need to read 310.12 more carefully. [For anyone following along, see https://up.codes/viewer/colorado/nfpa-70-2020/chapter/3/wiring-methods-and-materials#310.12 ]

- If you take the position that your 500 MCM SECs qualify for 310.12(A) because they supply "the entire load" of one dwelling unit, then your 4/0 Al feeder conductors can't qualify for 310.12(B), as they don't supply "the entire load."

- And all 310.12(C) tells you is that no feeder supplied by those 500 MCM SECs has to be larger than 500 MCM.

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. The point of 310.12(C) is that if your 500 MCM SECs supplied a 400A panelboard protected at 350A, and that panelboard had a few loads, and it in turned supplied another 400A panelboard via feed thru lugs, then the feeder between the panels wouldn't qualify for 310.12(B) as it is not supplying "the entire load". So without 310.12(C), that feeder would need to have a full 350A ampacity, meaning 700 MCM Al. Which is obviously silly, as it is supplied by the 500 MCM SECs.

Rossn

Reaction score
All I can say is that they both need to read 310.12 more carefully. [For anyone following along, see https://up.codes/viewer/colorado/nfpa-70-2020/chapter/3/wiring-methods-and-materials#310.12 ]

- If you take the position that your 500 MCM SECs qualify for 310.12(A) because they supply "the entire load" of one dwelling unit, then your 4/0 Al feeder conductors can't qualify for 310.12(B), as they don't supply "the entire load."

- And all 310.12(C) tells you is that no feeder supplied by those 500 MCM SECs has to be larger than 500 MCM.

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. The point of 310.12(C) is that if your 500 MCM SECs supplied a 400A panelboard protected at 350A, and that panelboard had a few loads, and it in turned supplied another 400A panelboard via feed thru lugs, then the feeder between the panels wouldn't qualify for 310.12(B) as it is not supplying "the entire load". So without 310.12(C), that feeder would need to have a full 350A ampacity, meaning 700 MCM Al. Which is obviously silly, as it is supplied by the 500 MCM SECs.
Thanks, Wayne. You've really been great to me - and I appreciate your support.

Your explanation of 310.12(C)'s existence is excellent and crystal clear to me. I couldn't agree with you more about needing to read (and think) more carefully. I'll let you know what progress I can make with the inspector, gently, of course. Ultimately, he's AHJ, and until he gets it I'm kind of stuck. It's a little sad because you know if I'm having to push the county to recognize a code violation, there are others slipping through with this service setup.

Fundamentally, NFPA is using a framework that requires attorney and engineer level of attention to detail in its prescription and interpretation. But, the folks doing the actual work aren't trained in that manner and don't have that rosetta stone. I would love to have some insight on metrics of actual code in-compliance. I can't imagine this is an isolated incident.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a little sad because you know if I'm having to push the county to recognize a code violation, there are others slipping through with this service setup.
Presumably you mean potential code violation--the violation doesn't exist until the load on the 4/0 Al feeders exceeds 180A.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks