Residential Plumbing Layout Question

Users who are viewing this thread

DMetallo86

Reaction score
I am working on my mother in-law's residence and the plumbing turned into a complete redo once we saw the condition of the existing cast iron.

At this point all plumbing has been removed, the house is completely gutted, and we are changing the layout.

At this point I am asking for a general sanity check for the attached proposed layout for the DWV system. Am I missing anything obvious or making this more difficult on myself? I have a tendency to over think things and I don't want to cut any corners.

The home is located outside of Birmingham, AL and the current code is the 2021 IPC. The home is a single story on a crawlspace with pretty decent access but like I said, everything is gutted down to the studs and floor framing (no floor sheathing).

In my attached PDF, the drains in orange and vents are in green. I am still working on elevations but wanted to make sure the horizontals made sense first.

Feel free to point out my mistakes or areas where I am doing something stupid!

Thank you in advance!

-David

Attachments

• Mom DWV Plan.pdf
    181.8 KB · Views: 33

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
shower I would run drain over to side wall 90 up for a 2x1 1/2x2 santte and point santee at the shower center.
kitchen and laundry I wouldnt be drilling all those studs maybe an aav at kitchen , maybe its not that many studs just a thought but shower is easy

DMetallo86

Reaction score
shower I would run drain over to side wall 90 up for a 2x1 1/2x2 santte and point santee at the shower center.
kitchen and laundry I wouldnt be drilling all those studs maybe an aav at kitchen , maybe its not that many studs just a thought but shower is easy
Thank you for the response.

There is an access issue straight up from the shower.

What if I come off of the shower drain up at a 45 degree angle until under the wall then santee up through the wall? (see below)

I would only be drilling through 2 studs at the kitchen and I think I am going to make that a 2x6 wall. I am furring out the laundry wall with an additional 2x4 wall to accommodate plumbing and the dryer vent.

1709588165906.png

Again, thank you for the recommendation.

Reach4

Reaction score
"shower drain up at a 45 degree angle"
Things don't drain up. Did you maybe mean that you would route the pipe northwest?
You cannot turn down with a drain until after the trap is vented.

Shower drains are in the floor, so unless the shower is on the floor above the 2x6 studs you are talking about drilling, that is not going to work.

DMetallo86

Reaction score
Yes I meant angled to the northwest (up at 45 degrees in plan view.

I do not plan to turn the drain down until the vent.

The studs I am referencing are for the kitchen drain from my initial post in response to the first comment from another user above.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes I meant angled to the northwest (up at 45 degrees in plan view.

I do not plan to turn the drain down until the vent.

The studs I am referencing are for the kitchen drain from my initial post in response to the first comment from another user above.
The kitchen and laundry area I think are fine I thought mayby easier another way but i guess nothing to worry about. you really lost me with your wording on how you are plumbing the shower ? the drawing you made dosent depict what you are saying in any way. drain line going along 2x2x1 1/2 combi on its back (perhaps on a 45 toward the wall ) the 2 inch continues with a short piece then a 45 and piping to a p trap. mayby thats what you mean? if so sounds good!

DMetallo86

Reaction score
I guess I am not good with written words!

Leaving the shower drain centered in the shower I have a 2-inch p-trap and 2 inch drain toward the northwest. I will 45 that once i am below that wall, I will add a 2x2x1.5 combo pointing up for the vent to go vertically through the wall, the 2 inch drain will continue to the west below the wall until the main 4 inch drain line.

This is the new layout I have in the picture in my last post. I think we are on the same page.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks