Replacing vanity, need drain cleanout advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Charles Mitchell

Reaction score
I tore out the cheap double vanity in my upstairs master bathroom and purchased a nice double vanity from the big box store. The wall has two sets of drain couplings and two cleanouts. The old drain placement was doesn't align for the new vanity. The vanity manufacturer recommends the drain coupling be at 18" from the floor. They are currently at 15 1/2" so I'll move them up.

The clean outs are about 5" off the floor. They will interfere with floor of the new vanity so I have to move them. How high can the clean out be? I can't find any requirement related to this. Can I just stack 2 sanitary tees and just place them so my drain height is right and the cleanout is above the floor of the cabinet? Or, any chance I can just eliminate the cleanouts and use the drain port if it needs snaking?

Thanks,
Charles
ATX

Reach4

Reaction score
The clean outs are about 5" off the floor. They will interfere with floor of the new vanity so I have to move them. How high can the clean out be?
Cleanout can even be above the santee.
. Can I just stack 2 sanitary tees and just place them so my drain height is right and the cleanout is above the floor of the cabinet? Or, any chance I can just eliminate the cleanouts and use the drain port if it needs snaking?
I think yes, and yes. I am not a plumber. Most people don't have a dedicated cleanout for a lavatory.

Reaction score
If you raise your trap arms you need to raise the connection point in the vertical stack.

Do not install fitting in the horizontal fixture arms to raise them without reventing back to the vertical stack. Without reventing you’d have created an s/trap.

Leave the fixture arms at 15” if it’s not interfering with anything. Even if it’s interfering it may be easier to alter the cabinets instead of raising the fixture arms properly.

I do not use AAV unless it’s absolutely necessary. Period.

Just raise your cleanout in the vertical. Cleanouts save money......

Charles Mitchell

Reaction score
I've cut the sheetrock out around the drain. It should be easy to slice in 2 new sanitary tees in the stacks. Above appears to be vent to roof.
I'm off to buy the tees, coupling a bit of 2" PVC pipe. Thanks everyone for you help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks