Replacing / repairing PRV

Users who are viewing this thread

Shluffer

Reaction score
This is a caompanion thread to my optimal PSI thread.

I think my valve is dead. It now reduces the preasure down to 25. is this concistent with a failed valve, or do they stop decreasing the preasure when they fail? I did try and tighten the adjustment screw, but it did not have any affect. This leads me to believe it broke.

I am going to replace or rebuild my watts U5B preasure reducing valve.

The question is if it is worth repairing it. Am I better off just buying a new one?

I would replace an older U5B (the part numbner is 135B1M3) with one of the new U5BZ3. If anyone has a suggestion as to a valve that is better let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Replacing it is simpler, better, and faster, although more expensive. However you might not have access to proper repair parts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would NEVER spend the time trying to repair one, but since it is your own PRV labor is not a factor so you could try it. often, however, the results can be less than desirable and you could wind up installing a new one anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks