rEPLACE 1/14 COPPER WATER LINES IN BASEMENT WITH PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom McGovern

Reaction score
I need to replace my water lines in the basement of my Home. My home is over 5500 sq ft with 4 bathrooms. It is also on a well tank with a bladder. The water lines in the basement are 1/14 copper running arount 25 ft accross the basement. I would like to replace the copper with PEX but I notice the largest PEX is 3/4. If I lower the pipe diamator to 3/4 will this affect the water pressure in the house? Is there any other plastic water pipe I can use with 1/1/4 diamator? Please advise

Thank you
Tom In Bucks Coubty PA

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I need to replace my water lines in the basement of my Home. My home is over 5500 sq ft with 4 bathrooms. It is also on a well tank with a bladder. The water lines in the basement are 1/14 copper running arount 25 ft accross the basement. I would like to replace the copper with PEX but I notice the largest PEX is 3/4. If I lower the pipe diamator to 3/4 will this affect the water pressure in the house? Is there any other plastic water pipe I can use with 1/1/4 diamator? Please advise

Thank you
Tom In Bucks Coubty PA

You can get PEX in 1.25" if that's what you want plus much larger as well..

John

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pex is made in every size that copper is made in, up to 12". I'm not sure about sizes above 12".

You'll want to buy a tool that can expand pex that bug which is gonna be more expensive than one made for smaller sizes.

Yes you'll want to keep your piping at 1.25" or it could have negative effects on your system.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
CPVC is also available in 1.25" and doesn't require any expensive tools. PEX would be my suggestion, but the expander tool is expensive. The tool may be rentable too, we can rent almost any plumbing tool from our bigger plumbing vendors.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
CPVC is also available in 1.25" and doesn't require any expensive tools. PEX would be my suggestion, but the expander tool is expensive. The tool may be rentable too, we can rent almost any plumbing tool from our bigger plumbing vendors.
Actually a ok solution my opinion to run some main line in cpvc I probebly wouldnt but Id be charging a good chunk of change on a 4 bath repipe , on other hand Id like to know how old the copper is and why such a large and expensive home be concidering Pex over copper ? But I think well installed cpvc or Pex in relatively open areas and rodent/ varmit prone is no big worry. The Tool rental for larger size a good idea too

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually a ok solution my opinion to run some main line in cpvc I probebly wouldnt but Id be charging a good chunk of change on a 4 bath repipe , on other hand Id like to know how old the copper is and why such a large and expensive home be concidering Pex over copper ? But I think well installed cpvc or Pex in relatively open areas and rodent/ varmit prone is no big worry. The Tool rental for larger size a good idea too
That actually was going to be my first suggestion to run the larger pipe in CPVC and the smaller runs in PEX to the fixtures. But its hard to say the layout so I didn't.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks