Repairing a pin size hole in plastic water line

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mcf57, Oct 21, 2020.

?

which is best for rapairing pin size hole water leak on plastic line

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. a plastic shark bite coupler

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. rescue/self fusing silicon tape

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Straight Barb connector

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. J-B Weld 8277 WaterWeld Epoxy Putty Stick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. J-B Weld 8237 PlasticWeld Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Yanyi Moldable Epoxy Glue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mcf57

mcf57 New Member

So, I discovered a water leak on my Samsung fridge. It turns out to be a pin size leak in the water line feeding the icemaker and water dispenser. Since the line goes inside the fridge (from back), it would require tearing apart the inside in order to get to where the connection is on one end.

Therefore, I was hoping I could simply patch this plastic water line. Again, its pin size leak and was hard to find at first, but I'm glad I found it. After some investigation, I found some options & think I have the following ways to repair this REALLY tiny hole. They are as follows:

• a plastic shark bite coupler
    • rescue/self fusing silicon tape
    • Straight Barb connector
    • J-B Weld 8277 WaterWeld Epoxy Putty Stick
    • J-B Weld 8237 PlasticWeld Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty
    • Yanyi Moldable Epoxy Glue

Which one would be best? Or any other suggestions? A Samsung water line replacement kit for this fridge costs $79 and would require tearing inside of fridge apart so was looking for a simple "patch" of some kind.

2. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

$79 replacement kit. If you're handy it will take a couple hours likely. We just installed a new fridge at our office and had to install the water system and ice maker. Dont mess with goofy repairs of soft tubing.

Only other option would be a coupler if you can get insert fittings to prevent the tubing from crushing.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Before patching a plastic pipe, you would want to know what the pipe is made of.

Jeff H Young likes this.
  5. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

I would not patch a water line. I would couple it. I wouldnt goop it