Removing a branch drain

Users who are viewing this thread

NMPastor

Reaction score
We are changing the location of the washer/dryer in a house. My memory from long-ago remodeling is that the branch drain for the washer needs to be taken out of the system, and that sanitary T taken out and bypassed by putting new 2" in the stack.

Certainly something has to be done, otherwise the water in the trap will eventually evaporate, and we'll have sewer gas in the wall.

Is my memory correct?

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Certainly something has to be done, otherwise the water in the trap will eventually evaporate, and we'll have sewer gas in the wall.
You can leave the sanitary tee in place and cap the path that feeds the sanitary tee. If there is a standpipe, you could even cap that with a "test plug", making it easier to reinstate that standpipe to accept water from a future softener or dehumidifier.
white-oatey-sink-hole-covers-33401-64_100.jpg
I am not a plumber.

Or cut a plastic pipe, and glue a cap over the cut end.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If what you are removing will be buried behind sheetrock it needs a permanant cap installed rather than a mechanical plug. And Reach 4 is correct, that location could be the existing stand pipe or right at the san tee. The tee itself does not need to be removed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks