Weeping tile grout

Users who are viewing this thread

bestoperator1

Reaction score
I have a curious situation. I installed a Laticrete "no threshold" shower system with a 5 foot linear drain. The shower enclosure is small. 5 foot long by 36 inches deep. The complete wet wall is on the narrow end completely and the exterior wall of the house runs down one of the long walls with the glass and door to the shower on the other 5 foot side. Hopefully this explains the set up. The whole shower from floor to ceiling has 12" by 24" porcelain tile. I did all the work completely except for the tile. 1 tile up from the floor on the exterior wall side but directly above the drain track the grout weeps a little water. You can put your hand on the tile and it feels a little damp. The whole height of the tile (8 inches) Now any tile above this grout line, below or to the side of it is dry. Kinda weird. Could the caulking on the bottom of the tile where it meets the floor be leaking and the water is leeching up the thinset and coming out of the grout?
Bathroom.jpg
Now, doing this enclosure myself I am confident it is completely waterproof but curious as to why it's doing it. Any Ideas?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have only been involved in a few jobs with materials like this . I think its a water proofing issue some say with hardie backer dont set it down to the floor . maybe laticrete is that way. Ive studied a bit about showers and waterproofing but no expert at all. had a tile guy do mine hot mop pan , lathed and floated walls after tearing out my hardibacker job by others.
You might look at john bridge tile forum or a you tube channel I watch called tile coach. there are so many opinions Im not confident in any of the systems someone always finds fault.
I did see a failed shower on tile coach (you tube)that was very detailed how he ripped into it to investigate also hoping some more responces come in with more specific advice

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I don't think that much water could be wicked up 8" and get that damp or wet, however, removing the drain grill and sealing the joint with silicone wouldn't hurt.

A good product that I've used is Impregnator 511. It doesn't last 20 years in a wet environment but first put on at least two applications. When you notice the grout is no longer absorbing any product the grout is sealed. A more likely area is the grout corners. Eventually, you'll see hairline cracks as humidity and temperature swings will cause the wall to move. Seal all grout lines.

Where is the shower head and valve body? Does the shower hit that wall?

I use 511 on my granite counter tops. It does not need sealing but it keeps the water beading around the kitchen sink.

bestoperator1

Reaction score
I don't think that much water could be wicked up 8" and get that damp or wet, however, removing the drain grill and sealing the joint with silicone wouldn't hurt.

A good product that I've used is Impregnator 511. It doesn't last 20 years in a wet environment but first put on at least two applications. When you notice the grout is no longer absorbing any product the grout is sealed. A more likely area is the grout corners. Eventually, you'll see hairline cracks as humidity and temperature swings will cause the wall to move. Seal all grout lines.

Where is the shower head and valve body? Does the shower hit that wall?

I use 511 on my granite counter tops. It does not need sealing but it keeps the water beading around the kitchen sink.
Thanks for the info. And yes, I did remove the drain grill and I do think I found the culprit. The bottom of the tile Is grouted and it is hidden in the drain. So, being at the closest area to the shower head and because of the slope of the floor, I believe it literally is sucking up the water like a straw. Isn't the lowest tile supposed to be caulked and not grouted? Gonna clean it a up and waterproof that joint and see if that helps.

bestoperator1

Reaction score
I have only been involved in a few jobs with materials like this . I think its a water proofing issue some say with hardie backer dont set it down to the floor . maybe laticrete is that way. Ive studied a bit about showers and waterproofing but no expert at all. had a tile guy do mine hot mop pan , lathed and floated walls after tearing out my hardibacker job by others.
You might look at john bridge tile forum or a you tube channel I watch called tile coach. there are so many opinions Im not confident in any of the systems someone always finds fault.
I did see a failed shower on tile coach (you tube)that was very detailed how he ripped into it to investigate also hoping some more responces come in with more specific advice

bestoperator1

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The walls are built with laticrete hydro ban board It. is your waterproofing. It's made from a membrane. Once installed you use there tape for the joint and there sealer and you paint it on with a brush, along with all the screw holes. It was also water tested for leaks and all good . It's tedious but when done pretty cool. Kirbi is similar. They would not build a custom pan for my dimensions so I went with Laticrete Here's a picture
Hydro ban board.JPG

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Any scarps left over? Take a piece and place it in water. It'll float if it doesn't absorb water.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hope you can figure out what problem is . I cant tell perhaps movement and a crack in corner?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks