Relocating shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

mississippi150

Reaction score
bathroom 2.jpg

I am renovating my bathroom. The old bathtub drain is (2). I want to move that drain to (1) for a better location for the shower. The question is: what do I have to do?

The old drain has a P trap and then goes directly into that vertical pipe below the slab. I assume this is a wet drain.

The distance from (2-old drain) to (3-vertical pipe) is about 30 inches. The distance from (1-new drain) to (3-vertical pipe) is about 72 inches.

--Can I just connect the new drain to the old drain pipe (assuming proper slope) and have it be ok? Or is the 6 foot distance too far to use the wet vent?

--I'm assuming that I can use that pipe for drainage, no problem. It's the venting that I'm worried about. If I can't just connect the pipes because 6 feet is too long, how else do I vent this?

This is a load bearing wall, I believe. I only mention that because that limits the defects I can create in the studs.
bathroom 2.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
keep your fall to 1/4 inch perfoot and go for it no problem on your current venting 2 inch drain?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know 2 inch works correctly I thought it might had been a 1 1/2" so you are all good !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks