Relationship b/w hot water & low pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

jonny99

Reaction score
Just moved into a new house (built in the 1920s). Had a 12-yr old water heater when we moved in, we ran out of water partway through the first shower, and decided to replace with a new 50 gallon water heater. Also replaced the shower head with a lower flow shower head. The first shower is now pretty much fine, but if someone else takes a shower soon after, they tend to run out of hot water. This suggests to me that the heater is not recharging as fast as it should be (the new heater has is a GE Smartwater 12-yr, which has a decent recharge rate). Is there a more likely explanation? Could this have something to do with low water pressure in the house, which we have noticed? Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hot water

IF the heater is an electric one, then none of them has a "respectable" recovery rate and you are probably just using more water for that first shower than it can replenish.

jonny99

Reaction score
The new heater is gas

The new hot water heater is gas, not electric. Forgot to mention that. Thanks.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
hot water

When my kids were home, my son on Sunday was quite often in the shower first and it took me a year to make him realize that taking a shower at home was different than at high school where there was a never ending supply of hot water.

You may be using too much water per shower.

Burner recovery rate should be pretty good.

Your dip tube shouldn't be the problem on a new heater, but if your shower time is very limited, I would take it out and look at it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks