Reaming and Fluxing - - Back to the Basics

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Pushing in the pipe might remove excess cement, but if the cement is properly applied to both surfaces, it is never completely removed.
The reason they recommend twisting the fitting into place when/as it bottoms out is to help distribute the cement, which ensures that this is not an issue.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Chef, you got to remember that this joint is a weld and the "glue" is a solvent for the pvc pipe and fitting, which become an integral part of the weld. No thickness of glue between parts is necessary

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Where is my popcorn when I need it most?

Would You like Butter on that ?

popcorn.gif

Pipewrench

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ream and bevel pvc??? Hell just cut it with a saw as straight as possible, slap some glue on it, and shove it in with a twist. It ain't rocket science... The only time I've ever beveled pvc was on the barrel of my potato gun

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ream and bevel pvc??? Hell just cut it with a saw as straight as possible, slap some glue on it, and shove it in with a twist. It ain't rocket science... The only time I've ever beveled pvc was on the barrel of my potato gun
These kids did not ream and bevel their PVC connections. They got arrested by the plumbing Police. The code is code. go by the book

Attachments

• pic70.jpg
    pic70.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 283

Abel Zyl Zimmerman

Owner of Zyl Vardos
Reaction score
Website
zylvardos.com
Hell, when I have to chop them up... its the big 7" Milwaukee grinder with a metal cutoff wheel. It just sinks right in. And everything smells pleasant -- like fire, brimstone, and sewer! A regular metal wheel will clean up the ends too, and smooth any cast lettering before placing Fernco's.

Careful though: I cut through a bell this way once. It has the usual lead and oakum, but seemed to be topped off with old hardened tar. Made a helluva lot of smoke and I had a lead taste in my mouth for the rest of the afternoon. Yuk.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks