x

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
A gravity-flush system is always quieter than a flushometer flush or a pressure-assisted flush.

I think Toto's old Power Gravity flush was even quieter than its current GMax and Double Cyclone flushes, but the latter are superior in evacuating waste.

How loud a toilet seems while it is refilling is going to be a function of a number of things, such as acoustic characteristics of the room, how insulated the walls are, etc. Some valves have a little more rushing noise than others, but water pressure will also affect that. The Korky 528 Quietfill Maxperformance fill valve seems quieter to me than the typical Fluidmaster 400A that is installed in many toilets. Some Toto toilets come with the 528; others use one of several fill valves, depending upon factory and supply. A new fill valve is a 15-minute-or-less DIY job, and the part is about $11. (I can do one usually in less than 5 minutes.) So replacement of the valve is an option if it's noisy upon refill.

I find that the other fill valves that Toto uses sometimes squeak or "chirp" on shutoff; the 528, most of the time, just shuts the water off quietly: it's flowing, then it's not. But these are mechanical devices subjected to a variety of operating conditions, so how they function in one installation can differ from another. Sometimes just replacing it with a new copy of the same valve can make that chirp go away. The 528 is the one I find to be most-reliable in that regard, however. I pulled a 400A out of an old toilet and replaced it with a 528. The toilet takes about 5 seconds longer to refill, but the rushing sound is greatly-reduced and there is no sharp sound at shutoff.

One other consideration is refill time (i.e. how long does it take to refill). A good 1.28gpf toilet with gravity flush is going to refill pretty quickly, so the rushing water sound is over quickly.

The flush is the noisiest part, particularly on a pressure-assist flush; the refill is usually quieter.

The Toto (original) Drake 1.28gpf toilet, CST744E, is a good workhorse toilet that you can buy in the $200 range (street price in white; MSRP much higher, but $200-ish is a price at which it is available). If you need an ADA-compliant version, it's a little more, model CST744EL. You can put an "open front" seat on it if you have a commercial space. Its gravity flush is pretty quiet; I have two.

I have used the old Toto Ultimate MS854114 (with no letter-suffixes in the model number) uses the old Power Gravity flush and may be a little quieter, but probably not meaningfully-so. It's a 1.6gpf toilet, and so may not be available for sale in California. The models with suffixes (MS854114E for example) use the same flush as the Drake, so won't be quieter, although the one-piece design of the Ultimate (or Ultramax with the suffixes) may be a little quieter.

Good luck and come back with any more questions.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks