Question about bathroom sink pop-up drains

Users who are viewing this thread

mclerou

Reaction score
hello, first post here. Nice forum by the way. I spent some time cruising around reading and I was impressed at the knowledge shared here.

In my 13 year old house, builders put Moen hardware on the bathroom sinks, including Moen pop up drain assemblies. The drain plugs started to not hold water and after a few aftermarket universal plugs not working real great, decided to replace the whole assemblies. I called Moen to find out part number to purchase, they sent free new kits under warranty (wow, ok). The kits are like the original one I took out except the drain plug. My originals were plastic with chrome tops with an o-ring. The replacement is an all metal cast plug with a chrome top that has a little wiggle to it (not meant to come off) and no o-ring. It's metal on metal between the plug and flange. Seems to be a tight fit when the plug is dropped down. Just wondering if a non o-ring plug is normal? Don't know how it's supposed to hold water. And by the way, it's Moen part number 10790.

Last edited:

mclerou

Reaction score
Yes. In some cases I have had to remove "O" rings to give enough space for the water to drain quicker.
my concern is when the plug is down to plug the sink and hold water, which is what I want it to do. I guess Moen designers feel it doesn't need an o-ring - metal on metal. That's my question really is this normal for plugging the sink? I've only ever seen plugs with O-rings.

Here's a picture of the kit I grabbed off the internet. You can see the plug, no o-ring.
283b1430-82e2-4cee-8c31-231f3d75a8c5_400.jpg

Shane Wolcansek

Reaction score
These are designed to hold water while you are using the sink basin. Many will not hold water for days at a time. This style, when installed properly will hold the water while you take care of your morning routine. The taper on the plug fits well enough into the drain opening to create a good seal for the sinks purpose. Remember, this drain is under very little pressure, just the weight of the water so it doesn't take much to hold the water in the bowl for 10 minutes while you shave.

mclerou

Reaction score
These are designed to hold water while you are using the sink basin. Many will not hold water for days at a time. This style, when installed properly will hold the water while you take care of your morning routine. The taper on the plug fits well enough into the drain opening to create a good seal for the sinks purpose. Remember, this drain is under very little pressure, just the weight of the water so it doesn't take much to hold the water in the bowl for 10 minutes while you shave.
Too bad for the mrs - she's looking for the magic plug that will hold water for a day - she likes to hand wash some of her dainties in the sink.

Reaction score
looking for the magic plug that will hold water for a day
We have a sink in the laundry room just for this. It's a standard drain and we use a classic rubber stopper.

You might be able to unscrew just your drain stopper head, so you can use one too.

You can always permanently remove the mechanical pop-up drain, and get a standard drain in there.
Rubber_basin_stopper_1-1_4.jpg

Reaction score
Flat rubber stoppers work great when they are brand new, but over time they warp a bit wavey and no longer make a flat seal.

I agree with #9, you may want to just gut out the entire pop-up.

Having an extra little stopper sit around the lav is no big deal.

mclerou

Reaction score
Flat rubber stoppers work great when they are brand new, but over time they warp a bit wavey and no longer make a flat seal.

I agree with #9, you may want to just gut out the entire pop-up.

Having an extra little stopper sit around the lav is no big deal.
yep, thanks all. That is definitely one good alternative.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks