PVC instead of brass tailpiece with pop-up drain assembly?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Treedy, May 9, 2021.

1. Treedy

Treedy New Member

I'm installing a new tub in my bathroom that has a spring pop-up drain that uses metal linkages. Can I use a PVC tailpiece instead of the brass one supplied with the kit? Or is there a danger in having metal linkages inside the PVC?

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    I would stay with the kit. Brass will probably out last PVC. If the linkage rubs on the PVC during use, it could eventually wear a hole through the pipe. Only my opinion, not from experience.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

I can't envision the kit you're referencing. Got a model number? I know the old Kohler Clearflo is a brass kit that is specific to several kohler tubs.. I can't think of a reason why plastic wouldn't work as long as its schedule 40 PVC/ABS and definately NOT tubular plastic. But.. not really sure which drain you're working with..

Manufacture won't stand behind your modifications if that's of any importance to you.

Personally I like to install a cable drive or a clicker style drain because they have the least amount of parts to create clogs.