PVC glue joint over twisted

Users who are viewing this thread

Stutsbearcat

Reaction score
I made the mistake of over twisting a water drain connection in bathroom remodel using 1 1/2" schedule 40 PVC joint when gluing. Should I be concerned in any way? It was tight to get into connection so I pushed and turned in same direction. I'm concerned I pushed all the glue out & have a poor bond.
The joint seems tight.
I read it should only be 1/4" turn after the fact on the Oatey glue can. So much for reading prior! Yes I also used purple primer.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not a problem.
I certainly agree if the make up process was to push the joint together while twisting, continue to twist some more to get things lined up, and then just hold it tight. But a question that's beyond my hands-on experience:

Suppose you do the above, and 10 seconds later realize you're off slightly. So you go to adjust it, and it's really started to set and really hard to turn, but you manage to turn it 5 degrees. Is there any risk that you've broken the nascent bond that was forming and it won't fully reform and could leak in the future? Or is that basically impossible?

Thanks,
Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think Wayne is right it could depend on the situation, but based on the description it doesn't sound like there will be an issue. PVC is pretty user friendly and reliable.

Stutsbearcat

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. No it was an first time glue job not a redo. Too bad when Ryan Homes built the house they didn't place the drain near the water supply lines like it is now! They stopped it on the right side. I didn't want to put a 2" hole into the side of my new $1200 vanity/top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks