Propane appliances make weird noise / flame when started.

Users who are viewing this thread

dcf1999

Reaction score
First, I'm going to be calling the LP company about this issue tomorrow... It's just something that's bothering me and I'm kind of curious to what you guys think it could be.

My home's gas supply is LP and I'm observing the following problems with at least two of my appliances (fireplace and stove). In all cases, if I turn the appliance off and and on again, the condition stops and everything returns to normal (sounds and flame). It only seems to happen if an appliance has been off for awhile.

Stove top: Flame lights but it's sounds and looks "rough". It makes a rumbling... almost like a jet engine (best way i can describe it) noise and flame isn't consistent around burner. Looks and sounds like there is too much air and not enough gas. Kind of like if you take a mapp / oxygen torch and introduce a little too much oxygen...

Fireplace: Makes a loud woosh and then the same noise as stove top mentioned above. Again, if i turn it off and back on again, it quietly turns on (not woosh) and it's a quite normal looking flame.

Furnace / Water heater: Seems ok but if it's not I don't know if I'd know the difference

Dryer: Sometimes sounds like the stove top if it hasn't been run in awhile. Also having issues with it shutting down due to a safety trip (maybe it's related to the issues i'm having)

All the appliances listed above are on the same line / regulator.

Sorry... it's hard to describe sounds and looks.

Thanks.

dcf1999

Reaction score
I'm sure by now that it was found to be the regulator at the propane tank.
They LP guy (over the phone) thinks it’s the second stage reg at house since it’s only happening to appliances that are serviced by that one regulator (I have the different outbuildings serviced by 3 separate 2nd stage regulators... only the appliances on that specific regulator are the ones acting up). He’s thinking it may need adjusting but it’s just speculation obviously. He’s coming out on Wednesday.

The extent of my diagnosis was hooking up my manometer to the reg to see how much water column it was. I did it last year and it was 11” wc but then again maybe there is more tests to be done with the gauge than just reading the static pressure. That’s why I just called the LP company for them to diagnose. I didn’t even mess with testing the 1st stage regulator because I don’t know enough to even attempt it.

I’ll repost on Wednesday or Thursday with results Incase someone else has a issue like this.

dcf1999

Reaction score
LP guy came over and saw first hand what’s going on. Said it wasn’t normal what it was doing. Tested 2nd stage reg and had a static pressure of 10” WC. With everything running it dropped a little (about 9.5”). Tested system for leak and found none. He’s stumped as what’s it could be. He’s going to ask around and said something may need adjusting.

Reach4

Reaction score
Rather than checking the static pressure, he should have teed off to his manometer, and watched the pressure while you were using the stove and/or fireplace.

What if he actually did that? Something weird in the path. One weird thing might be that path of pipe has a low area filled with water. The gas is bubbling thru.

Just a wild guess, with no relevant experience.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks