Problem with smelly sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Compestine

Reaction score
Hello,

We have an odor in our master bath that's like old gym clothes. It seems to come from the two sinks. When the bathroom is closed up, it takes a few hours for the odor to build up, and it gets worse when the weather is cool and damp.

I've flushed the overflow and the drain with chlorine bleach, baking soda and vinegar, and toilet bowl cleaners.These help for a day or so, then the odor returns. I have tried cleaning out the p-traps, which appear to be functioning properly. I've tested the plumbing vents for leaks, none found. I've checked in the crawlspace for leaks and odors there, and in the attic, but found nothing unusal.

Any suggestions for what else I can try? The odor is driving us nuts.

Thanks,

Greg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about a picture of the plumbing under the sink? Is it vented to the outside or is there an air admittance valve (AAV)? Have you checked the shower and tub drains to make sure the smell is not coming from there? Have you sniffed around the base of the toilet to make sure it is not coming from there?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would isolate the sink from the rest of the bathroom with thin plastic, such as a cheap plastic painting drop cloth. Some masking tape may help. Give it some time, and then see which side of the dropcloth has more odor.

husky-drop-cloth.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks