Plumbing vent pitch issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Rayn26

Reaction score
I put an addition on my house 3 years ago. Yesterday water started leaking through the light in our new bathroom. We traced it to a leaking joint in a plumbing vent in the attic crawl space above the bathroom. There were two problems. First, the joint of the vent (pvc) had not been properly primed or sealed ( it just pulled apart). I primed and glued it which will hopefully fix that issue. The other problem and why there was enough water in the line to leak out is there is a horizontal run on the line that is pitched in the wrong direction- so any water coming in from rain cannot drain but rather just stays in the first joint coming in from the roof. Is the plumber responsible to fix this? How much would it cost to replace this ( do not want to do it myself)?. I would guess the line from where in entere from the roof to where it goes down into the bathroom wall is only around 6-8 feet. If I don’t do anything how big of an issue will this be if the joint is now properly sealed? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Was the vent new going thru the roof. If so who did the roof work. You could probably just cut 2 inches out on the vertical and put a clamp on
Depending on the method of penetration, he might be able to just push the vent pipe higher. Maybe the negative slope came from a settling of that vent pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks