Dont mind me.

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
copper tubing is quite a bit bigger than CPVC, which is about the same as PEX, (which I would have used if I were not going with copper). I have never seen CPVC installed with "crimp" connections. Are you sure it is not white PEX?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Reaction score
That is PEX, not CPVC.

HJ is wrong on sizing, Copper and CPVC are close in size (copper is a little bigger). PEX is smaller than both and the fittings 50% smaller.

With that plastic crimp fitting, and that many of them, its probably going to kill your water pressure. 3/4 pex with those fittings is near 1/2 CPVC or copper.

Don't know what that shower assembly needs for flow, but I would definitely switch to copper or cpvc, maybe 3/4 if it needs the extra flow, but avoid those plastic crimp fittings.

Reach4

Reaction score
HJ is wrong on sizing, Copper and CPVC are close in size (copper is a little bigger).
Copper and PEX are the same size OD. For 1/2 inch, that size is 5/8 (0.625) inch. The ID of PEX for a given nominal size is significantly smaller.

The ID of your PEX fittings are a lot smaller than for copper fittings.

The differences may not mean much for a single 2.5 gpm regulation showerhead.

Last edited:

Bill Cook

Reaction score
Aquariusfella, did this design work? I am wanting to do the exact setup, but have concerns about enough volume / pressure for the 4 body sprays on 1 outlet.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
If you have 3/4" supplying the valve bodies and 1/2" to the outlets, I would think you have to be fine. I'm sure the body sprays and shower heads are very low flow, they would have to be otherwise you would need a huge amount of water flow and pressure to run everything, and you wouldn't be able to run anything else in the house if your taking a shower. Otherwise you would flush a toilet and lose all the body sprays.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1/2" copper is good for about 4gpm per the Copper Institute's installation handbook with hot water...a bit more on warm. 3/4" copper is good for about double that. Exceed that, and you start to get dynamic pressure drops that can get excessive, literally wear the pipe out from the inside, and create water flow noises.

Pex can handle more IF it doesn't have lots of fittings and angles. The beauty of pex is that it bends, and other than looks (usually hidden in the wall), you may not need any intermediate fittings. It can look funky with the bends when you're used to nice straight lines and angles of copper.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
1/2" copper is good for about 4gpm per the Copper Institute's installation handbook with hot water...a bit more on warm. 3/4" copper is good for about double that. Exceed that, and you start to get dynamic pressure drops that can get excessive, literally wear the pipe out from the inside, and create water flow noises.

Pex can handle more IF it doesn't have lots of fittings and angles. The beauty of pex is that it bends, and other than looks (usually hidden in the wall), you may not need any intermediate fittings. It can look funky with the bends when you're used to nice straight lines and angles of copper.

Why would you say Pex can handle more? Unless your going to use 1" pex, it's well known that pex doesn't handle more than copper. Maybe if your comparing 1/2" copper to 3/4" pex.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks