Pipe Foam for PEX A inside walls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr.T

Reaction score
What is the opinion of the pros when it comes to using pipe foam or rubber on PEX water lines for the entire system (3/4" and 1/2")? I am in the middle of a whole house re-pipe w/ Uponor PEX A.

As it stands, the PEX will need to be protected from UV since it will be a while before I get drywall up. So my thoughts were either temporary protection (tarps) or I could just spend money and cover everything with pipe foam or rubber and then get an added benefit of insulation for the hot water lines and possible condensation protection for the cold lines.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Manufactures say 90 days but that would be constant exposure to the sun. If you're running pipe now the home should be dried in with a roof on. There would be little direct sun exposure. I would worry about the cut ends left open. All kinds of bugs, critters and small snakes can crawl inside the pipe and cause problems later on. Tape off all ends.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sure why not? Ive insulated hot and cold copper many times. of cource its not free makes it quieter too. Pex dosent waste heat as bad as copper though

Mr.T

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Roof, walls, windows are all in. Plus it's winter in MI so there it's basically gray all day. I'll likely go ahead and wrap the pipes where it's easy and they are more exposed to potential light during construction but now fret over it too much. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks