PEX and Well shock?

Users who are viewing this thread

DStyduhar

Reaction score
Not sure if this should be in the general plumbing forum or not but I was reading about PEX resistance to chlorine. Or lack there of? Considering folks should be shocking their well on an annual basis, do any of you guys have PEX? I currently have copper but plan to do some massive rerouting and considered installing a home run system, manifold and PEX. Last time I shocked my well I had somewhere around 150-200ppm, of chlorine so I'm curious as to whether this would degrade PEX if installed.

As a side note, I'm talking about PEXB....crimp stuff.

thanks,

Drew

Reach4

Reaction score
Based on your post, I did some reading. Your concern seems justified. I don't see reports on this exact topic. I see accelerated testing at elevated pressures estimating the life of continuous exposure to 4 ppm for years. Is the effect on the pipe proportional to the time*ppm? I suspect so, but I don't know. I do see the term "CT value" for that. CT is Concentration * contact Time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CT_Value

Using a good flooding volume, my well does not seem to need sanitizing each year. I also drop the pH, which makes the chlorine disinfect better, it is probably also accelerating the effect of the chlorine on the pipe. I don't currently have PEX until considerably after my pressure tank. I do have polyethylene from the well to the basement. I would expect that non-crosslinked polyethylene is at least as affected by chlorine as PEX.

I may accelerate my sanitizing from letting things circulate for over 12 hours to something less. I do monitor my recirculating chlorine and pH and replenish the consumed bleach and vinegar to get back to my target levels.

Last edited: