P-Trap Question

Users who are viewing this thread

J3ffMc86

Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been answered in another post. I did search but couldn't find a similar question.

Over the past four months I've been having issues with my kitchen sink backing up. I seem to have reduced the issue down to the P-Trap, though I could be wrong. So here's my question: Is a P-Trap necessary if my drain is not tied into a sewer or septic tank? The drain pipe runs underground to a ditch far away from the house, so I don't think there would be any harmful gases making its way back up into the house. I could be completely wrong about the P-Trap being the issue, so any ideas are helpful. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. The p-trap may not be needed, but it might offer some resistance to bugs and mice.

How do you have doubts about the p-trap? Is it glued in or what?

J3ffMc86

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. The p-trap may not be needed, but it might offer some resistance to bugs and mice.

How do you have doubts about the p-trap? Is it glued in or what?

Yeah, I can see where that could be an issue. Like I said, I could totally be wrong about that being the issue, but, no, it isn't glued in. The house is fairly old, but the plumbing is new. I have snaked the drain and there doesn't seem to be anything obstructing it. I've also replaced the air vent and that didn't seem to change much, though it did drain a little better. I'm just trying to figure this out myself before I call a professional, because I'm sure it's something simple.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the trap is not glued in, just take it a part. You can see any blockage problems, and clear them if necessary. Or buy new clean ones. They are cheap. The slip joint traps and drain stuff are nice.

J3ffMc86

Reaction score
If the trap is not glued in, just take it a part. You can see any blockage problems, and clear them if necessary. Or buy new clean ones. They are cheap. The slip joint traps and drain stuff are nice.

Thank you, I'll try that.