Outlet Spacing

Users who are viewing this thread

Yankee1423

Reaction score
I'm drawing up my electric plan for a basement finish and came ran into a spot where I may have electrical outlet overkill. This all goes back to the rule requiring outlets on any wall 2' or more. As you can see in the diagram, I have a closet in the bedroom where the walls are all right around 25" or so. Am I going to need outlets on each wall marked 25"? That seems to be a little much to me.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
What I see is one wall that is 50.5 inches from the door to the closet. This area would require one receptacle.
From the closet to the door is one wall where a receptacle would be required within six feet of the door and 12 feet on center thereafter. This would be the minimum but if my heart desired I could put one in every stud bay,

What I don’t see is a 25 inch or an 8 inch wall anywhere in your drawing.

BhamRuss

Reaction score
You need to review the wording of the applicable code. The codes I'm familiar with allow the spacing to turn corners. (Walls aren't defined as corner to corner, but rather by interruptions such as doorways, fireplaces, etc.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks