Outdoor sewage pump venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Harrisonnate

Reaction score
My local plumber installed a sewage ejection pump recently for my detached studio apartment. When I asked him why he had to run the venting up the side of the house he said it was to keep the rain out. ? I’m not sure the rain matters all that much in this situation, and if it does then a couple elbows to terminate it downward would do the trick. It’s a bit of an eyesore, so I’d like to cut it off at the horizontal and slap a critter guard on the end, but want to be sure I’m not missing some bit of code here. It’s not directly under a window or door or within 10 horizontal feet of one, and it’s not in a location with any foot traffic. I’ll be covering the tank and pipes (including the vent) with a raised deck and access panel.

74765B02-97E7-4515-838B-2C10ABFD8C3A.jpeg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Generally we run them up high for weather things like snow and rain and also for the stink. Your wanting to put it about nose height, which will drift nose height for a good while. It's your call as long as there are no air intakes and like you said no foot traffic.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Generally we run them up high for weather things like snow and rain and also for the stink. Your wanting to put it about nose height, which will drift nose height for a good while. It's your call as long as there are no air intakes and like you said no foot traffic.

Ijust re-read your post. If there's a deck it needs to be 7 foot above it.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, John! I wasn’t aware of the decking requirement…it’s not a deck for use, just to hide the pump, but I’ll stick to the code nonetheless. Appreciate the quick help!
A deck for use should be 7 feet above. One that is ornamental doesn't need to brew that high.