Outdoor receptacles on rain screen

Users who are viewing this thread

jba

Not A Box
Reaction score
Hi All,
Is there a best practice, or can someone share their preferred method for placing receptacles on an exterior rain screen? I’ve contemplated the following two approaches:

1) mount a waterproof box (1-3/4” deep, the depth of corravent + siding) directly to the plywood/tyvek sheathing and feed NM through the back. I could flash the top of the box. Finish with a while-in-use cover.

2) run NM (I assume it would need to be UF) through the sheathing/tyvek, 1” air gap, 3/4” siding and just use an exterior mounted metal while-in-use box.

Are these both code compliant and is there a better way yet?

Thanks,
jba

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
What is an exterior rain screen? Do you
mean screened in porch? Reading it several times I’m assuming you want to damp proof existing outlets? What is the reason? Are the GFCI tripping?

UF is only needed when it is buried and in contact with dirt.

jba

Not A Box
Reaction score
Hi WorthFlorida,

I don't know how common these rain screens are, it's not a porch but an exterior wall with this build-up: 2x6 studs / 1/2" cdx plywood / tyvek / 1" cor-a-vent strips / 3/4" vertical shiplap siding. The 1" air gap behind the siding is supposed to allow airflow and keep the siding in good shape. But anything between the tyvek and the siding can expect to get occasionally wet with wind driven rain, etc.

So I need to either span that air gap with wires of some sort or mount (and rain proof) the box right onto the tyvek. Maybe it's ok to use standard 12/2 NM to span this 1" gap? But it's not really a dry location. Thoughts?

Thanks!
jba

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainscreen

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...slkKHfHnA7YQ4lYILCgE&biw=1773&bih=804&dpr=0.9

This might answer your question.
http://mattrisinger.com/rookie-builder-mistakes-electrical/

The way I would do it is mount an external electrical box directly on the top of the siding. Mount a conduit coupling with a short PVC electrical conduit pipe glued to the coupling of the box and extend it into the wall of the home. At the plywood hole used expansion foam to seal it and behind the electrical box use a good exterior caulk. After it is mounted then run an additional bead of caulk around the electrical box at the siding. but do not do the bottom of it. Besure to use a GFCI outlet with a exterior outlet cover.

gray-bell-boxes-brackets-psb37550gy-64_145.jpg
gray-bell-boxes-brackets-psb37550gy-c3_145.jpg
sch-80-adapter-slip-mpt_2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks