Open door to basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Salty

Reaction score
I live in a 2.5 storey 1921 four square with hot water radiators. The basement is always cold during the winter since there are no rads there, and I keep the door from the main floor to the basement closed. The other day I decided to leave the basement door open. Although I could feel some cool air entering the main floor near the bottom of the doorway, within a few hours the entire house felt warmer, and the rads were not running as hot. Can anyone offer an explanation?

Salty

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
There are apparently multiple air leakage paths between the basement and other rooms in the house. By opening up a huge path (the basement door) most of the flow now traveled through the conditioned first floor space with better mixing.

The real solution is to air seal and insulate both the basement walls and the top floor ceiling, and all plumbing / electrical / flue chases that penetrate either the basement ceiling or between the upper floor ceiling and attic. By minimizing the outdoor leakage at both the bottom and top of the house the total stack-effect infiltration drive gets dramatically reduced. By insulation the foundation walls the basement stays quite a bit warmer, as does the first floor's floor.

Balloon framing often has a basement-to-attic flue in every stud bay if left uninsulated and unsealed, and balloon framed partition walls could be drawing cool basement air into interior wall cavities, lowering the temperature of those walls, and the average radiant temperatures in those rooms.

I live in a 1923 bungalow (that was not balloon framed). After air sealing the basement and insulating to ~R15 with 3" of reclaimed roofing polyiso, even when it drops to -20C outside the basement stays north of +15C, and the whole house feels warmer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks