Oil cap lock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew21

Reaction score
Hi there,

Since my grandma's passing, me and my dad are taking care of the house. She has the oil man come to fill up her tank but since she passed we barely keep the heat on..just enough so pipes don't burst. We really didn't use any oil/heat last year but since the oil man came by, he filled it up 15 gallons! HOLY COW! 15 gallons?!?! The guage was full when the last time we checked in May. How can it use 15 gallons of oil?! Anyway, we're thinking that the neighbors might have siphoned it out (highly unlikely) or some strange thing happening to the line. Who knows. Is there a lock we can put on it from the outside? Also is there a check valve in that line so nobody can take the oil? Curious....

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
oil

IF the tanks are in the basement, and the pipes offset to get to the outside (which would be a normal installation), it would be difficult to put a hose into the tank and it would have to be pumped out, it would not siphon. Anyone who went to that much trouble would take a lot more than 15 gallons. A "full" gauge does not mean that there was not space for 15 more gallons in the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks