NYS code re:location of AAVs - auto-vents

Users who are viewing this thread

chargerny

Reaction score
I found this in the Section in New York State version of the IRC dealing with auto-vents.

" P3114.4 Location

Individual and branch air admittance valves shall be located not less than 4 inches (102 mm) above the horizontal branch drain or fixture drain being vented. Stack-type air admittance valves shall be located not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood level rim of the highest fixture being vented. The air admittance valve shall be located within the maximum developed length permitted for the vent. The air admittance valve shall be installed not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above insulation materials where installed in attics."

What it doesn't explain, or what I don't understand is what a "stack-typle AAV" is.

I has in stalled a small utility sink and installed and AAV based on the guidance in the first sentence above, i.e. 6" above the 1 1/2" horizontal drain that leads away from the sink's trap toward the drain stack.

A real plumber came today to give me a quote to install a gas line in the same room and said that the AAV had to be 6" above the rink of the sink, i.e. the guidance of the second sentence.

So, which is it, and what is a "stack-type AAV" as opposed to an "individual or branch AAV," and which do i have?

Thank you in advance for any clarity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks