Not using Hydronic PEX with Boiler...

Users who are viewing this thread

Dwassner

Reaction score
Basically, I didn't use the PEX with the barrier when I installed a few of the loops in my system, as I was not aware of the issue it solves.

It has been like this for 4+ years.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have a Lochinvar boiler and it has a stainless steel heat exchange.

I was recently told to replace all this PEX with the correct kind, as it is introducing oxygen into the water and will make everything rot out.

Your thoughts??

Splashoil

Retired!
Reaction score
Basically, I didn't use the PEX with the barrier when I installed a few of the loops in my system, as I was not aware of the issue it solves.

It has been like this for 4+ years.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have a Lochinvar boiler and it has a stainless steel heat exchange.

I was recently told to replace all this PEX with the correct kind, as it is introducing oxygen into the water and will make everything rot out.

Your thoughts??

Take it out. Do a flush of your system with Fernox or similar product cleaner then fill system with water and Fernox or equivalent protector. Take a look at any iron fittings in your system while you are empty. If you sell the house, and do not disclose this defect you may be vulnerable to a lawsuit on this.

Dwassner

Reaction score
how do I 'pump' the fernox into the system once it is drained?

Given that my boiler has a stainless steel heat exchange, would this be safe from damage? This is really the biggest concern to me...

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are there other ferrous parts in the system that aren't stainless? E.g. pumps or fittings? If yes, then you need the oxygen barrier PEX.

If no, I'm unsure, but it would seem to me all the components are resistant to oxygen and it wouldn't matter.

Cheers, Wayne

Dwassner

Reaction score
the parts that I believe would be ferrous are:
-zone valves?
-2 circulator pumps (one for heat, one for indirect)
-expansion tank
-fast fill valve (may be copper)
-spirovent (may be copper)

aside from this, everything is either copper, brass, plastic, or stainless...

Fitter30

Reaction score
The 02 molecules in non barrier pex are smaller than the pex thats how it penetrates. If you didn't have a spirovent could of had more air problems but they are efficient. Replace the tubing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks