Non-Condensing Boiler Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

DorkyJen492

Reaction score
My home's gas water boiler broke after 30 years (original) and am looking to replace it. I noticed that I have two options: condensing (+90% AFUE) and non-condensing (~80% AFUE) boiler. I am leaning towards getting a non-condensing boiler because:
  • Non-condensing boiler is cheaper to purchase and install
  • Non-condensing boiler is less complex (minimal computer technology, less parts) so therefore would be cheaper to maintain and have a longer life-span
  • Condensing boiler will save ~20% on my gas bill (~$300 savings annually). Cost of condensing boiler and installation is ~$4500 more then a non-condensing boiler, which is a 15 year payback. I'm not confident that the condensing boiler will last that long.

My questions are:
  1. My local Home Depot, Rona, and Lowe's doesn't sell non-condensing boilers. Will it be difficult to find parts to fix a non-condensing boiler within the next 30 years?
  2. I turn the heat on for only 4 months of the year. Does this damage the boiler in any way as the system sits idle for most of the year?
  3. What should I be looking for in between different non-condensing boiler? Are there certain features I should be looking for? Should I be looking for an stainless steel heat exchanger?

Fitter30

Reaction score
80% boiler are either cast iron or steel most have only a one stage burner thus no turn down. Boiler killer return water under 135* ,lack of water treatment and leaks adding fresh water.
Condensing boilers 95% efficient when return water is under 130*f 86% above 130*f. Turn down ratio 10-1 125,000 btu will modulate down to 12.5k. boiler piped with outside air will help with infiltration. Reset control will work with either boiler but a condensing will modulate down and track temperature change better. Boiler killer lack of water treatment and leaks adding fresh water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks