No Water from Toilet Supply line nor Cold water from sink

Users who are viewing this thread

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
I just moved into my home and realized that the toilet will not fill in the tank. I changed out every part due to bad advice and finally found out no water was coming through the valve when it was on. I did notice when I turn on the toilet valve sometimes a little bit of water comes out then stops. I also noticed water isn't coming from the cold water on my sink (same bathroom). I looked under the sink to find the valve knob is missing. I bought a replacement valve knob and after turning the knob still no water just a gurgle notice.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
my money is on galvanized steel pipes rusted closed. Water will ever so slowly make its way through, creating pressure, but NO flow.

Or it could be an isolation valve that controls just the bathroom. Is there a tub/shower valve that has working cold in the same bathroom?

how long was it since someone lived in the house?

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
I checked the pipe coming out of the wall and it is copper. I was also afraid of it being steel. The shower/tub is okay with hot and cold. We moved at the end of June. Everything was working fine prior to final inspection.

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
I have noticed but waited on since my electrical panel was another priority and we have two bathrooms.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are a lot of things you need to try to narrow down what's going on.

I would buy a sharkbite valve, turn all of the water off, cut the valve off of toilet supply line. Insert the sharkbite. Turn water back on. Open the sharkbite valve. See what happens.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The shark bite idea a good one, other variations but crap , rust plugs up at angle stops often if you get nothing out still let us know there are other tricks too. I hate to say but did they disclose this? home inspection?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Everything was working fine prior to final inspection.

So something changed. Could it be those flood stopping supply lines? If the flow is beyond spec they have a ball/check that shuts off the supply of water and I've read that they sometimes don't reset.

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
I was told that maybe trash clogged the valves but that seems less likely due to being the toilet/sink. Then again I could be wrong, I was going to attempt to replace the valve.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Debris from municipal water systems is generally rare, at least anything large enough to clog a 1/4" opening in an angle stop. I've worked on homes where the general contractor placed the water main first and got a bunch of Pea gravel in the pipe and that wasn't found until after the angle stops were full of gravel.

First and easiest diagnosis would be to remove the supply tube from the fixture and angle stop and use a new tube to run water into a bucket. Verify that water comes out of the valves.

If no water, then remove the valve and replace with a new one and verify that.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've many times removed angle stop. Hold bucket and have a guy go out front open valve and close it. Communication is important or you'll have a mess. Rocks , construction debris , wood chips, what ever its the same process. The "trash" is introduced when water is off and an open pipe gets something in it. When we say trash its not literal but some thing that doesn't belong.

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
So I found out that water come out of the copper pipe before I put the new valve on which is good. Now the new issue is when I put the new valve on the water won't come out the supply line unless I turn the cold and hot water one at the sink. I feel like it could be a pressure issue since the cold water doesn't come on and the valve is stuck. I feel replacing both the hot and cold water valves under the sink would fix everything all together. What does everyone think?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So I found out that water come out of the copper pipe before I put the new valve on which is good. Now the new issue is when I put the new valve on the water won't come out the supply line unless I turn the cold and hot water one at the sink. I feel like it could be a pressure issue since the cold water doesn't come on and the valve is stuck. I feel replacing both the hot and cold water valves under the sink would fix everything all together. What does everyone think?

No replacing a hot valve isn't going to fix lack of cold water to to toilet.
Water came blasting out with angle stop removed? or trickling? if its blasting out then your new angle stop is plugged as well

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
With no valve on the copper pipe water came out no blast just came out. When putting valve on the copper pipe water also came out but when I turn off the sink fixtures it slowed to a trickle then stopped. The cold water on the sink doesn't work but make a trickle sometimes most of the time it gurgles. I looked at the valves under the sink and hot water turn is stuck while the cold water turn is missing I assume it's stuck. Someone mentioned the pipes are tied wrong I'm not sure if that's accurate since everything originally worked.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
With no valve on the copper pipe water came out no blast just came out. When putting valve on the copper pipe water also came out but when I turn off the sink fixtures it slowed to a trickle then stopped. The cold water on the sink doesn't work but make a trickle sometimes most of the time it gurgles. I looked at the valves under the sink and hot water turn is stuck while the cold water turn is missing I assume it's stuck. Someone mentioned the pipes are tied wrong I'm not sure if that's accurate since everything originally worked.
gotta blast out the line under sink as well ,remove stop and let it blast however way you can think of slip a hose with a clamp over it many different ways but you got something in there or your not describing it well

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take a picture under the sink. Show as much of everything as you can. We can zoom in to see what we want to see.

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
I think I'm bad at describing hahahaha. I will change out the sink valve next then report back. Thanks for the help thus far.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds to me as if the cold water line is blocked before the bathroom, and you don't get water to feed the toilet unless you get a crossover by opening the hot and cold valves at the sink. Then hot is crossing over and feeding toward the toilet to.

Inspect for a closed valve. Cold to your bathroom is getting stopped somewhere. Can you run cold water out of the tub spout?

Should we guess your house is on a slab and your pipes are in the slab?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks