No hot in tub but hot in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah that's kind of my thought too. I will eventually replace the tub spout in the problematic bathroom and see what happens.
I still don't see how that would happen and haven't had this happen. Since you didn't post any info we are only making bad guesses.

LilBit

Reaction score
I still don't see how that would happen and haven't had this happen. Since you didn't post any info we are only making bad guesses.
I posted all of the info that I have. I can't provide info that I don't know or don't have. At this point I don't even really need more information as I've already stated I found a fix.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK.. So still something that should be impossible. A typical pressure balance valve takes Hot and Cold come into the mixer and typically sends that mixed water to the tub spout first which gets diverted to the shower head when you stop the tub spout. Its literally the same water being sent to whichever outlet..

Perhaps a photo of the tub / shower valve is in order so we can see if its something out of the ordinary. Any pics of the work done to fix the broken handle that solved that problem?

LilBit

Reaction score
OK.. So still something that should be impossible. A typical pressure balance valve takes Hot and Cold come into the mixer and typically sends that mixed water to the tub spout first which gets diverted to the shower head when you stop the tub spout. Its literally the same water being sent to whichever outlet..

Perhaps a photo of the tub / shower valve is in order so we can see if its something out of the ordinary. Any pics of the work done to fix the broken handle that solved that problem?
I understand that however if there is a problem with the pipe to the tub spout or there is something blocking the hot water from getting through the spout it can cause pressure issues making the pipes knock and it also wouldn't affect the showerhead flow of hot water. So it's not an impossible thing to have happen and there are reasonable explanations that could cause it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see what they did nor any pictures in that bathroom. I was in a car accident at the end of June and am still recovering so my mobility is currently still limited and wasn't able to get back there when they were here doing the work. I have attached a photo of the new tub spout. I'll have to adjust my other photos as it says they are too large. I did look at the access panel they created to change the tub out. To me it appears the only metal piping is to the tub spout. The line to the shower head is actually plastic. That could be why it was knocking because it would move more freely than a metal pipe would. It would also explain the tub not working if there was buildup. Give me an hour or so and I'll get the other photos put up

Attachments

• 20220831_111300.jpg
    20220831_111300.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 87

LilBit

Reaction score
The photos aren't the greatest but here they are. The silver tub spout is the new one. The bronze looking one is the old one and what is still in the bathroom having the issue. I took a photo up the wall because I was trying to see what the pipe was and as you can see it is plastic and not metal which can cause the smacking on the wall a little more easily than a metal pipe. Then there is a photo of the access panel that they used to replace the tub spout and shower handle.

Attachments

• 20220831_111300.jpg
    20220831_111300.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220831_111344.jpg
    20220831_111344.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220831_111415.jpg
    20220831_111415.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220831_111803.jpg
    20220831_111803.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Yeah that's kind of my thought too. I will eventually replace the tub spout in the problematic bathroom and see what happens.
Can't be the spout. The spout is used for both hot and cold.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. Looks like they changed the whole shower valve. I would have started by changing the shower cartridge. For the noise in the wall, try throwing some pipe insulation on the the red pipe sitting on the drywall.

Edit: meant to say I would start with the cartridge … lot cheaper fix.

Last edited:

LilBit

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. Looks like they changed the whole shower valve. I would have started by changing the shower valve. For the noise in the wall, try throwing some pipe insulation on the the red pipe sitting on the drywall.
Yes they had to change both because my old roommate busted the handle off.

LilBit

Reaction score
Yes they had to change both because my old roommate busted the handle off.
The noise also only happened when the issue with the hot water at the tub spout was happening. Now that it has proper hot water flow through the tub spout the line no longer knocks. I thought I mentioned that in a previous post but I might not have.

LilBit

Reaction score
Can't be the spout. The spout is used for both hot and cold.
That doesn't mean it can't be the spout. For all I know it could be that main connection box looking thing in my photos. I have no idea if that was there before nor do I have any idea if it was replaced. I'm checking to see if I can get a copy of the repair from my leasing company to see if it shows whether they replaced that or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks